Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Ideas on my new Buxus 9 years 1 month ago #14743

• Alpse
  • Alpse's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 3
Hello dear bonsai enthusiasts,

After misbuying the Skyrocket Juniper, I bought another tree "Buxus".Unfortunately I don't know its age, nursery stock was crowded so i couldn't ask questions. I believe that I'm making mistakes but where. If you see, please tell me. It seems to me I overpruned the tree :(
It wasn't so healthy and couldnt stop myself... I'm waiting for new branches and foliage to come out. Should I put this Buxus into bonsai pot? or bigger pot is better?
Last question is that, should I buy plastic bonsai training pots before buying ceramic and expensive bonsai pots?
The 3rd photo is my girlfriend's boxwood.
Please don't hesitate to share ideas

Thank you all for your helps from now
Loves from Turkey
Alpsekerci

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Alpse.

Ideas on my new Buxus 9 years 1 month ago #14745

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

couldnt stop myself... I'm waiting for new branches and foliage to come out. Should I put this Buxus into bonsai pot? or bigger pot is better?

Common mistake... being too eager and impatient.

My best tree is a juniper I pruned (too much) 12 years ago. It's starting to look like something that could become a good bonsai now.

You'll need lots of growth now. Soil looks healthy enough, pot size seems OK, I probably would just leave it in that pot this year. You don't need bonsai pots, you put trees in bonsai pots when they are ready for it. This one isn't.

If you can get training pots, that would be good. I'd prefer clay pots, but plastic will do. As I appeared not to have enough clay pots, I've used plastic myself. Just regular pots that I cut the rim of, to make 'm lower.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alpse

Ideas on my new Buxus 9 years 1 month ago #14746

• Alpse
Thank you for your reply dear Auk,

You are right, I was happy and eager so much. Finally I've found a tree with fair trunk. But the foilage wasn't so healthy, yellow leaves everywhere. that is the another factor of my overpruning mistake :(

I was worried about the pot issue so much until your instruction. I'm taking every post as notes. Now i have to learn be patient until my Boxwood gets a little bit green and stronger :) I will order plastic pots when my budget is available,i saw some plastic bonsai pots on ebay.co.uk. I think i will order the pots from there but a little bit later
Appreciated for your helps Auk, thank you so much.

Last edit: Post by Alpse.

Ideas on my new Buxus 9 years 1 month ago #14747

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
bir şey değil :)

Ideas on my new Buxus 9 years 1 month ago #14749

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Just keep in mind.. You work on HEALTHY trees. That way, they recover much better. IF the boxwood was indeed unhealthy, you may very well have killed this plant. Personally, I think the plant was bronze coloured, which is normal in winter. As spring is on its way, you might be ok.

DO NOT repot for AT LEAST a year. The plant needs to be lush with growth before you even consider doing enything to the roots.

Ideas on my new Buxus 9 years 1 month ago #14752

• Alpse

bir şey değil :)

You made me happy Auk by typing in Turkish, Teşekkür ederim :)

Thank you for reply Leatherback,
You mean Boxwoods are healty plant or the plants I have are healthy? I'm waiting for them recover,which can take a bit longer as Auk says. As I remember yes they were,im waiting for new foliage to come out.

• Page: