• Page:

TOPIC: New larch

New larch 10 months 1 week ago #31645

Here's an update on the Larch.

It was relatively warm and the buds started leafing out in autumn. Not good. When it got colder, the new foliage died off:

At this time I dedided to wire it. The plan was to bend the the trunk down. I used a bender for that, but quickly noticed that was making dents. I removed it.
Also, I figured that the foliage actually was too far from the trunk. When I would bend the trunk as planned, it would not be possible to get it above the base of the trunk. So, I decided to change the plan. I wired a branch that will go to the right, and used a guy wire to pull the top to the left.. I still plan to bend the trunk down, but the top will now be above the base.

Yes, I know the wiring looks ugly. It was cold outside, OK? :D

I was a bit worried about the buds - but at the beginning of spring I found that in the center of the died off foliage, new green appeared.
Now, the plant is doing pretty well:

Next step will again be to bend the trunk down. That's going to require more and more careful work. I 'll need to use raffia and thick wire.
Next update will probably be next year.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Auk
  • Auk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 970

New larch 10 months 1 week ago #31651

Wow. Did you realize how badly you wired this tree?

;)
Looks like a long term project there! It feels like it is time to drop in on your garden.
  • leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • For the love of plants
  • Thank you received: 1098
Ficus and bonsai. Lots can be said.
Only small things can ever become big
growingbonsai.net: Learn how to grow bonsai

New larch 10 months 1 week ago #31653

leatherback wrote: Wow. Did you realize how badly you wired this tree?

No? I thought I did this pretty professionally!
It was cold OK, now leave me alone!

;-)

Looks like a long term project there! It feels like it is time to drop in on your garden.

Certainly a long term project. I can see what I want it to look like in the future, but yeah, that'll take many steps and a lot of time.
I'll post some more pictures of my collection in your other thread. Not sure if you still want to visit my currently rather messy garden after that :)
  • Auk
  • Auk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 970
  • Page: