Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

converting garden shrubs into in-ground "bonsai" 8 years 7 months ago #16880

• hoosiercheetah
  • hoosiercheetah's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Okay, so I might be completely crazy. I have two juniper shrubs in my front yard. They've been growing unrestricted for who knows how many years, and they had formed nice rounded mounds, about two feet tall and four feet diameter. I hate round shrubs. I was planning to rip them out.

Then, I started getting interested in bonsai, and I read that juniper is a good place for a newbie to start. So in the late spring of this year, I butchered my two juniper bushes. I cut out all of the low branches back to the trunk. I left branches that were reaching out or up in the places I think I might want them to be. Overall I think I cut about 60 percent of the foliage off of each bush. I'm going to wait until next spring to do any more cutting or to attempt any styling. My long-term plan is to try to shape them like bonsai, but to leave them where they are in the yard.

So the problematic part of this project is that the foliage that's left is mostly at the ends of long, thin branches. My question is, can I get the foliage to grow on the branches closer to the trunk, and is there any way to get new branches to grow lower on the trunk itself?

I'll try to get a few pics up, but I wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts first. Thank you in advance for any advice!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

converting garden shrubs into in-ground "bonsai" 8 years 7 months ago #16881

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Okay, so I might be completely crazy. I have two juniper shrubs in my front yard. They've been growing unrestricted for who knows how many years, and they had formed nice rounded mounds, about two feet tall and four feet diameter. I hate round shrubs.

So do I - if they are the same size and placed symmetrically. I have several round shrubs though, different species, each a different size and placed asymmatrically, and I think it looks great.

I cut out all of the low branches back to the trunk.

You did not add a photo, but it seems you got it wrong. You usually want to keep the lower branches.
They can serve different purposes: fatten up the base of the trunk, or form a new leader. But as said, you didn't add a photo.

So the problematic part of this project is that the foliage that's left is mostly at the ends of long, thin branches. My question is, can I get the foliage to grow on the branches closer to the trunk and is there any way to get new branches to grow lower on the trunk itself?

Nope. On Junipers (and other conifers) no new branches will grow on places where there's no foliage left. A branch without foliage is a dead branch. You have cut the lower branches, and, if no branches with foliage are left there, nothing will grow there. Only option could be to wire the branches and bend and shape them so the foliage gets closer to the trunk.
As you write you only have long, thin branches though, it sounds to me like the material is useless for bonsai.

I'll try to get a few pics up, but I wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts first. Thank you in advance for any advice!

Can't give you my thoughts, only my knowledge, without seeing the pictures.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Auk.
  • Page: