Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

thoughts on progress 8 years 3 months ago #18505

• Lee Beckett
  • Lee Beckett's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 5
hello all, this is the boxwood i dug out of my garden 2 years ago, iv pruned it and rather than remove all the unwanted branches iv tried a jin, can anyone give me some feedback please (good or bad)or possibly some advice, as this forum is the closest thing i have to a bonsai club.
i just want to know if its on its way to becoming a bonsai, or if iv made a mess of it. there is a few bits i need to tidy up and finish (just havnt had the time, and im waiting for my lime sulphur to arrive.
thank you

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

thoughts on progress 8 years 3 months ago #18508

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

hello all, this is the boxwood i dug out of my garden 2 years ago, iv pruned it and rather than remove all the unwanted branches iv tried a jin, can anyone give me some feedback please (good or bad)or possibly some advice, as this forum is the closest thing i have to a bonsai club.

Nice tree. Not sure what advice to give. What style did you have in mind? I think I see a wind-swept style option in there, but not sure if that would work out, with that foliage that very much seems to like to grow upwards only.

i just want to know if its on its way to becoming a bonsai, or if iv made a mess of it.

You have not made a mess of it. Yes, it needs more work and more time (as always) but it is on its way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lee Beckett

thoughts on progress 8 years 3 months ago #18509

• brkirkland22
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 128
Hardwoods can be difficult to keep jins as they don't preserve as well as juniper/pines, but they can be useful. You may do some carving for detail then lime sulphur it. You may also think about doing a hollow where the branches were. There's some drawbacks to that, too, but it has its interest.

I agree with Auk, could make a nice windswept. Now that it's established, I'd prune it back much closer to the trunk to start branch work. That front branch in the second picture has a good shoot you could prune to. It could begin the taper, since it's long and straight right now. A few other branches show the same thing.

Good looking material to start with though. Funkiest boxwood I've seen, too.

thoughts on progress 8 years 3 months ago #18513

• Samantha
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 151

You have not made a mess of it. Yes, it needs more work and more time (as always) but it is on its way.

What??? there's a tree out there that the almighty "Auk" didn't call a "malsai" its only fit for compost...

thoughts on progress 8 years 3 months ago #18523

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

What??? there's a tree out there that the almighty "Auk" didn't call a "malsai" its only fit for compost...

I understand your problem and I feel your pain.

thoughts on progress 8 years 3 months ago #18526

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

This feels uncalled for. I have yet to find a thread where Auk has called a tree useless where it was in fact, good material. Auk cannot help that the average question on the forum is regarding cuttings rather than bonsai, and the mix up of identities of these two.

thoughts on progress 6 years 5 months ago #36330

• Lee Beckett
  • Lee Beckett's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 5
Hi again, just wanted to share some new pics of my boxwood. It's been root pruned and repotted (back into its tub!) there's lots more new shoots growing strong. I'm going to look for a suitable bonsai pot soon, I'm thinking a chunky rectangle one

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

thoughts on progress 6 years 5 months ago #36331

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Nice to see this tree again.
I agree with your idea for a pot :)

• Page: