• eangola
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 82

Replied by eangola on topic Forysthia beginings

Posted 7 years 10 months ago #22213

Samantha wrote:

leatherback wrote: It is tiny. I had a forsythia with a trunk of 35cm diameter trunk

My experience, with these, is about a thousand skinny shoots, sort of like this.
This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

How long did it take to get 35cm?
I saw some cool forsythia bosai online though; ... www.google.com/search?q=forsythia+bonsai...Xly4MKHV7XBVwQsAQIGw

But Samantha, most Junipers are bushes too...

by eangola

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Samantha
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 151

Replied by Samantha on topic Forysthia beginings

Posted 7 years 10 months ago #22215
Junipers don't have thousands of suckers, coming out of the roots, I never said it wouldn't work.
by Samantha

• eangola
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 years 10 months ago #22216

Samantha wrote: Junipers don't have thousands of suckers, coming out of the roots, I never said it wouldn't work.

True!. I read that suckers are a nightmare for Forsythia. I have not one sucker yet, but we will see for sure :). When I went to the nursury, and I was picking my forsythia most of them had a bunch of suckers, this one didn't have one, so we will see.
by eangola

• brkirkland22
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 128

Replied by brkirkland22 on topic Forysthia beginings

Posted 7 years 10 months ago #22219
I get suckers on lots of trees: hornbeam, hawthorn, and privet. Privet being the worst. If you see them, just pinch/cut them off flush before they thicken up. They're not a worry unless you let them be.
by brkirkland22

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Forysthia beginings

Posted 7 years 10 months ago #22233

Samantha wrote: How long did it take to get 35cm?

decades

by leatherback

This message has attachments images.

The following user(s) said Thank You: brkirkland22

• Samantha
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 years 10 months ago #22285
No, this is, what I sort of had in mind. Could, you pretty please show what it turned out to be? :dry:

I think it could be a nice flowery, thing.
Last Edit:7 years 10 months ago by Samantha

This message has an attachment image.

Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Samantha.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Forysthia beginings

Posted 7 years 10 months ago #22294
Nope. It was too heavy to move about, and when it had sprouts of about 40cm tall in spring, I contacted a local bonsai dealer, and made a trade. cash & tools for this tree. I later spotted it in his nursery for a pricetag.. ehm.. Well.. L:et's say I need better negotiation skills ;).

Not sure he sold it. For those in the Netherlands, if you are at Bonsaicafe, look around in the nursery outside.
by leatherback

• eangola
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 years 10 months ago #22915

leatherback wrote: Nope. It was too heavy to move about, and when it had sprouts of about 40cm tall in spring, I contacted a local bonsai dealer, and made a trade. cash & tools for this tree. I later spotted it in his nursery for a pricetag.. ehm.. Well.. L:et's say I need better negotiation skills ;).

Not sure he sold it. For those in the Netherlands, if you are at Bonsaicafe, look around in the nursery outside.

Question.

Should I cut branches back while they are green? or wait until they harden off. All the new branches are thickening, but still green. I am afraid they might get too thick, should I cut back? will the harden if I cut back? or should I wait.
by eangola

• Samantha
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 years 10 months ago #22921
[quote="eangola" post=22915
Question.

Should I cut branches back while they are green? or wait until they harden off. All the new branches are thickening, but still green. I am afraid they might get too thick, should I cut back? will the harden if I cut back? or should I wait.[/quote]

Let them harden off, it aught to be fine this year. Don't worry about it getting too thick, just watch out for those suckers.
by Samantha

• eangola
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 6 years 10 months ago #33540
This was my first deciduous and it has taught me a lot. The most important thing this tree has taught me is that I wouldn't pick material like this for bonsai today, lol. Being my first deciduous I do like it, and I want to keep working on it. I don't have any pictures of the flowering this year, sorry. I've learned some challenges from this particular species, one of them, flowering.

Challenges and lessons learned:

Flowering: Even though it deed flower this year, it was a bit pathetic. What happens is that it puts out flower buds on the fall, and you have to protect them during the winter... Since I live in a very cold climate, very long winter place, a lot of the buds didn't make it (tree was inside a cold frame).
Trunk thickening: My original plan was to use sacrifice branches, and as you can tell, the trunk did get some a little girth last year. The challenge with this is that forsythia doesn't heal well, and the thicker the sacrifice branch, the worst the healing. So you have to cut the sacrifice branch before it gets too thick, and hope you get a new one (which I did). Lesson learned? let the tree grow until you get the thickness you need, then cut down, don't rely on sacrifice branches. They work, but should be used for detail growth.
Branches: My goal was to grow primary branches and bring the foliage down, as there was almost no growth near the trunk. This is working, the tree backbuds very well, and grows rather fast and easily. I have managed to keep this tree very healthy.
Leaves: Yeap, leaves get huge, as you can tell. I am going to try to defoliate the tree mid summer, and see how it responds.

Conclusion: Forsythia could make really nice flowering bonsai (as google images would tell you). However, you must protect the flower buds all winter. As for a summer bonsai? think twice, leaves are big, so you must try to get a thick trunk to make a bigger tree. So I would recommend letting the tree grow wild in the ground while constantly cutting suckers and keeping ONE trunk, until desired thickness is achieved.

Here's the update:

I have thought about severely reducing the overall height of the tree, and growing a new leader.
Last Edit:6 years 10 months ago by eangola
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by eangola.