Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Serissa Foetida (Snow Rose) future Nebari 7 years 10 months ago #21728

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Forgive my ignorance

You're not so ignorant as you say you are. It is clear to me that you have studied and looked at examples. You're making the right comments (except the one about beating up trees... not a phrase I would like to use :) )

Now... you need practice caring for trees :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: eangola

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Serissa Foetida (Snow Rose) future Nebari 7 years 10 months ago #21735

• Indo Andreas
  • Indo Andreas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 92

This is a tropical plant, it grows that way.

Well good that we see different opinions, but I referred to tropical trees in growing as in this one below.

I understand however what eangola wrote, but probably did not answer it in the way I should have. Coming back to my trees, the tree tops should grow as a closed canopy for quit a while and will be extended sidewards in the future, the progression hasn't finished, with it the structure of the tree, since this tree has quit a bit of natural die back on thin branches, I wait until the thicker branches develop, then continue working on them. As you noticed, the foliage has been cut already from below (up) during the move from the training pot to the slap, this progress will continue until I gain the desired hight of the lower branches.
There are trees in the tropics that build a uniform top, even so they are several trees. I am getting your point, of ramification and work on this will follow, the steps one go to achieve this is different to each individual. Let see what comes out of it in the future, progress does not stop today.

Thank you for the comments Eangola, it is always good to see a different view.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Serissa Foetida (Snow Rose) future Nebari 7 years 10 months ago #21737

• Indo Andreas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Here a few pictures from below, there is still enough time to build more structure to future progression.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Serissa Foetida (Snow Rose) future Nebari 7 years 10 months ago #21739

• Samantha
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 151
OK, let me take a couple steps back, and look once more. They are really nicely arranged, and the canopy, is beginning to take shape, but i didn't realize we were to beat up, on each other.

This arrangement, is just, not quite ready for a slab. If you were to put it in a big cactus pot, and did the defoliating, a couple of times, then kept all the new growth trimmed down to four leaves (sort of what they tell us to do with elms). After a few years (maybe weeks where you are), by then, the bottom will thicken up, and the top will look more like the tree you shoowed, in www.bonsaiempire.com/media/kunena/attachments/7455/IMG_0408.jpg

Your tree grouping (why are they calling it a "forest") looks good, but lacks maturate. You do some amazing things, maybe you can thicken it up, on a slab, i've never tried it

Serissa Foetida (Snow Rose) future Nebari 7 years 10 months ago #21741

• Indo Andreas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks for the reply, I see your point, but also have thoughts in my mind where I like to go with this arrangement, this mind and the development of the trees is a progression. Now I could make drawings and give example, but that is what I don't do, I show rather stages of what I do when I did it.

(I come to this topic in the "Cafe Section", because exactly that beating up each other will be discussed.)

Size and thickening of trees, neither do I got the experiences wherever the tree does thicken up on the slab any of the other forum member have in mind, but that is actually not what I am aiming for at this stage to follow in any step other members, rather stick to my own creation and Ideas.. I try to learn how the trees behave on a slab at too, because that way I learn.

Other trees on slaps are doing fine and thicken up, this is my Experience too.

We are in the tropics where trees are growing in many ways different then in colder climate, you will be surprised what you can do here, that you can't do anywhere else.

The way of my display has its progression with what it is, size and later stages of this progression is surly with a plan involved, but it does not automatically means I succeed. The progress will show.

Serissa Foetida (Snow Rose) future Nebari 7 years 10 months ago #21745

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

but i didn't realize we were to beat up, on each other.

We only beat up junipers.

If you were to put it in a big cactus pot, and did the defoliating, a couple of times, then kept all the new growth trimmed down to four leaves (sort of what they tell us to do with elms). After a few years (maybe weeks where you are), by then, the bottom will thicken up

That's an... interesting advice. Do you mean you would get tapering ('the bottom will thicken up') by pruning back to four leaves?

Why would you want to defoliate a serissa?

Serissa Foetida (Snow Rose) future Nebari 7 years 10 months ago #21749

• Samantha
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
No, i was thinking by, increasing the smaller branches at the top would thicken the trunk and the roots, so defoliating and trimming would not help this kind of tree.

I'm trying to learn some times I just ask oddly, it helps when you point out my mistakes

Last edit: Post by Samantha.

Serissa Foetida (Snow Rose) future Nebari 7 years 10 months ago #21750

• Indo Andreas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
On this tree my experience is the way I treat it now, it does actually bring out thicker branches, I will make some sample pictures later.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Samantha

Serissa Foetida (Snow Rose) future Nebari 7 years 10 months ago #21751

• Samantha
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
thank you,

sorry if you thought I was being critical.

Serissa Foetida (Snow Rose) future Nebari 7 years 10 months ago #21752

• Indo Andreas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
not at all, it is constructive criticism, that based on thickening the branches, I will be happy to receive this and will reply with pictures and an explanation.