Bonsai forum

Young tree growing very slowly.

• azara
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Young tree growing very slowly. was created by azara

Posted 7 years 2 months ago #29739
Hi everyone,

Approximately three months ago now, I bought a bonsai-not-bonsai; one of those shrubs you find in a nursery where the top has just been lopped off to keep it small. I almost killed it, brought it back from the brink of death, learned it wasn't really a bonsai at all, and acted upon some advice on this forum to plant it in a larger pot to grow a thicker trunk and start "bonsai-ifying" it. This plant is already three years old, but it looks like a sapling. Unfortunately, it grows very slowly! I despair of it ever growing a thicker trunk, as it's still growing back many of the leaves it lost. Should this be a slow process, or should it happen quickly? Will it speed up as more leaves and branches grow back?

The plant is a Chinese Elm. It's planted in a pot probably about 3 or 4 litres (about 8 pints, I think) with pretty good drainage, and in direct sunlight for about three hours a day. My placement options are limited as I'm in uni accommodation, so that's the best I can do. I fertilised it last month and keep the soil moist, but never soaked.

Do you have any suggestions to make it grow faster? Should it be growing faster?

Many thanks,
azara
by azara

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Young tree growing very slowly.

Posted 7 years 2 months ago #29740
You already got some things right: in order to grow faster, it needs to grow leaves - which supply the energy for further growth.
So, your main concern will always be the plant's health.

Still, it will be a slow process. The fastest growth will happen if the plant grows in its natural environment, in full soil.
by Auk
The following user(s) said Thank You: azara

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Young tree growing very slowly.

Posted 7 years 2 months ago #29741
Light is the engine of the plant. That, combined with the space the roots have, control the growth of the plant in pots, assuming the are well-fertilized. Do keep in mind it is winter (assuming northen hemisphere?) and the difference between summer and winter growth is like, er, summer and winter.

Indoors it will not growth thick fast.
by leatherback

• spacewood
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 113

Replied by spacewood on topic Young tree growing very slowly.

Posted 7 years 2 months ago #29744
Which makes me question, are there any growth boosters for trees, like the steroids humans take for muscles?
by spacewood

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Young tree growing very slowly.

Posted 7 years 2 months ago #29745
No. There are multiple products that claim they do, but what you need is proper care - proper watering, fertilizing, position, environment.
by Auk