Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Re: Ficus: My first Indoor Bonsai !!! 12 years 7 months ago #1024

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
lance-greaterthanme.blogspot.com/
That's my blog site. It's just the progressions of my trees.I'd just like to be able to look back and see what I have done and re-read how I did it.
I hope it's not too boring :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Ficus: My first Indoor Bonsai !!! 12 years 7 months ago #1042

• BassandBonsai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 0
I hope your ficus bounces back. Good luck with the alcohol mix, and keep us posted!

Re: Ficus: My first Indoor Bonsai !!! 12 years 7 months ago #1047

• Leslie
  • Leslie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Thank you, Hannah. :)

I just posted photos of the *critters* over in "Pests and Diseases". Please check it out! K? ;)

Leslie

Re: Ficus: My first Indoor Bonsai !!! 12 years 5 months ago #2154

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hello fellow bonsai friends, :)

I know it's been a while since I posted anything new so I'm pleased to announce that "Jamina" is alive and doing very well.
After all she has been thru over the past three months (including the month before I brought her home)... heat exposure, two 'scale' infestations and two seperate treatments before and after I got her (and I treated her twice), losing the top half of her trunk, several branches and lots of leaves, a gentle slip-potting into a larger training pot; am I forgetting anything? And what seemed like a very long recovery period.

Jamina is now bursting out new leaves left, right and center. Yaaaayyyeee! :lol: I fed her yesterday for the very first time since I got her!
Here are some new photos I took today (I accidentally deleted her one 'side' photo :whistle: ). She still has a couple of bare branches however, I'm waiting to see whether they will begin to bud or shrivel. I am definitely open to any form and styling suggestions as well as what I should be focusing on with her at this time. Do I just let her grow until Spring?
Here is Jamina:

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by Leslie.

Re: Ficus: My first Indoor Bonsai !!! 12 years 5 months ago #2155

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Just to clarify the first three photos above...the first is Jamina's front, second is one side and third is her back. The rest are close-ups of her new growth. Thanks for viewing! :cheer:

Re: Ficus: My first Indoor Bonsai !!! 12 years 5 months ago #2159

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
shes coming along quite well :) don't tell her i said this, but she's gorgeous.

Last edit: Post by Pinkham.

Re: Ficus: My first Indoor Bonsai !!! 12 years 5 months ago #2160

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thank you Lance. I *did* tell her and she sends you a :kiss: LOL!
I think I'm going to go with the *windswept* style you suggested. Looking at the first photo, I need to do something with the two branches that grow off to the right and back a bit. I figure I have two options: 1. cut them off at the trunk, or 2. wire them to bend around to the left.
I tested the branches this morning and the top, right branch is very pliable... I would also like to wire that top 2-3" section of the trunk that bends slightly back to the right? The lower, right branch is tricky tho because it's short and not very bendable and, I can't have it "crossing" over the trunk. Dang! I think it's going to have to come off and it has five new, baby leaves! :(
It also means that this tree will have two bare sides to the trunk - the front and the right side. Is that a problem with regard to design *do's and don'ts*? And is this the right time to be wiring her and removing branches?

I could really use some help with this, please :pinch: . Your advice and/or suggestions are more than welcome.

Re: Ficus: My first Indoor Bonsai !!! 12 years 5 months ago #2161

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey Leslie,
One great thing about indoor trees is that you can wire them anytime they are growing and healthy. Jamina seems to have conquered her troubles quite well so I'm pretty sure she'll take wiring and clipping.When you do clip off the branches, make sure you root them :)
I'm so glad you are taking my styling advice with her. She is going to be a show stopper.