• Page:

TOPIC: Azalea

Azalea 1 year 5 months ago #33667

Those came from the ground. Which is how azaleas are grown for bonsai too. It just takes time, the right species (!) and climate.
  • leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1629

Azalea 1 year 5 months ago #33669

leatherback wrote: Those came from the ground. Which is how azaleas are grown for bonsai too. It just takes time, the right species (!) and climate.

Most that I have taken care of here in central FLA have been spindley sticks that have been in the ground for 10-30 years. I got some potted ones that looks a lot fatter at the base.
  • TBolt
  • Thanks received: 7

Azalea 1 year 5 months ago #33672

Auk wrote: ...Azalea is basally, not apically dominant, how come it has such long trunks without side branches..

Well, I don't know the history of Leatherback's azalea, but the (old) ones I've been looking for come from hedges, so most of them have long bare trunks; the younger ones do have good ramification close to the trunk, but they (the trunks) are thin for a good bonsai.
Still searching...
  • Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 692

Azalea 5 months 2 weeks ago #40676

Update... flowering nicely this year. New branches are forming, lower on the trunk, but not really at useful places. I'll need to reduce the longer branches in the top - once it's done flowering.

1 year ago vs. now:

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Felidae
  • Auk
  • Auk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1230

Azalea 5 months 2 weeks ago #40690

Still in love with that movement of the trunk and nebari. You've got an amazing tree
The following user(s) said Thank You: Auk
  • Røng
  • Thanks received: 10
  • Page:
Cron Job Starts