Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Small leaves on a castanea sativa 6 years 9 months ago #34129

• EnioS56
  • EnioS56's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I remember reading somewhere that you cannot force a castanea sativa to grow small leaves. I now have a small plant and would like to know if it does work and if so when should I defoliate the plant.
Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Small leaves on a castanea sativa 6 years 9 months ago #34130

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

I remember reading somewhere that you cannot force a castanea sativa to grow small leaves. I now have a small plant

It is a small plant so this is not going to work out. Let it grow to a big enough size to match the leaves.
Reduced leaf size is not so much achieved by defoliating, but by creating ramification - and adjusted watering / fertilizing.
Leaf size reduction however is not the first thing you should think of when creating a bonsai.

Small leaves on a castanea sativa 6 years 9 months ago #34145

• ColinW
  • Thanks received: 8
I gave myself a job and a half years ago, first with a horse chestnut then again a few years later with a walnut. Both are trees with really big leaves. I managed to get second growth of leaves a couple of times with the chestnuts but they didn't look right,the petioles were flat and thin. The walnut I didn't risk as the trunk is now looking great and would rather a large tree in my collection than loose it. One of my chestnuts is still in the big pot but the other I've cut the top off completely to see if I can get better branching from the cut as they do in the wild

• Page: