Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

What to do with wire that has been on too long 6 years 9 months ago #34344

• SugarTree
  • SugarTree's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I just bought a Five Needle Pine at a bonsai nursery and i noticed that some of the wires are going into the bark and wondering what I should do? The guy who sold it to me said the trunk has lines which look like scar marks because steel wire was used on the trunk to thicken in which makes me thing they maybe they are trying to thicken the top of the tree?

Attached are some images.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What to do with wire that has been on too long 6 years 9 months ago #34346

• BonsaiGrasshopper7
  • Thanks received: 1
I am very sorry but there is not much that you can do, even if you do take the wire off it, will take many years to heal. When buying bonsai you should always look out for wounds such as the ones on your bonsai before purchasing. The guy who sold it to you should never have put steel wire on it in the first place to thicken the trunk and I don't understand how that would work. the only way to thicken a trunk is to wait.

What to do with wire that has been on too long 6 years 9 months ago #34349

• Travi51
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 35
I agree, but you should take those wires off before further damage occurs.

What to do with wire that has been on too long 6 years 9 months ago #34351

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
The lines on the main trunk are indeed old wire marks. In some situations a trunk can locally be made thicker by putting a wire tight around it. In time, you get a swelling above the wire. Most often this is used in a preparation for air layer, or correct local variation in thickness. Not ideal.

I presume you are now talking about the wires that are in the crown. There one can see the tree starting to grow around the wire. This means it is time to remove the wire. If the branch does not stay in place, wire again taking care to put the wire on in the other direction (clockwise vss counter clockwise).

• Page: