Bonsai forum

Informal Upright Styling Advice Needed

• hoody yolkin
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1

Informal Upright Styling Advice Needed was created by hoody yolkin

Posted 6 years 5 months ago #36333
Hi friends,
I'm about two years into bonsai and I have experience with both elms and maples, however, I recently purchased several 3 gallon junipers from a nursery this past august. As most of the stock I came across seemed to cascade or grow outward instead of upward, I was wondering what the best approach was for training junipers into informal upright style trees. I've seen everything from aggressive wiring to tying the leader to a stake and letting it grow for some time but I couldn't find anything concrete on junipers in specific. Could anyone help me to arrive at the best approach for the long term health and quality of the trunk?
by hoody yolkin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Informal Upright Styling Advice Needed

Posted 6 years 5 months ago #36335
I assume you have bought species that grow in a cascading / crawling fasion all by itsellf. I would recommend buying trees that grow upright by itself. Trying to get a species to grow upright requires a bit of willpower.

But yeah, you can of course put a stake next to the base and tie the trunk up and let it grow like that for some years. But I would start with a species that grows upright naturally.
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: hoody yolkin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.