Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Old Hinoki Cypress 6 years 1 month ago #38538

• andest
  • andest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 3
I’ve just acquired this new tree and have begun wiring the branches.

Any advice on how to wire and shape Hinoki Cypress Bonsai trees?

I’ve been working around the tree from bottom to top wiring the branches into a lateral shape (please see images below).

Before I bought this tree it was kept indoors for about 3 months. I want to put this tree outside but I’m afraid that it is going to be shocked by the cold weather ( 30s-40s and by next week 50s ).

It’s spring now but it’s still rather cold where I am. In fact we had a snow storm today. Would it be fine to leave the tree outdoors ?

Thanks

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Old Hinoki Cypress 6 years 1 month ago #38541

• andest
  • andest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 3
In the process of wiring some branches split slightly.

I read online that using superglue/crazy glue on the outer part of the split works to bind the branch back together. Apparently it wouldn’t harm the tree. Is this true?

Old Hinoki Cypress 6 years 5 days ago #39413

• gcostanzo
  • Thanks received: 0
Nice looking bonsai! I have a Hinoki Cypress as well, this is the best care guide i have found: www.bonsaiboy.com/catalog/hinokicare.html from what i understand they like the cooler temperatures

Old Hinoki Cypress 6 years 4 days ago #39441

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Nice looking bonsai! I have a Hinoki Cypress as well, this is the best care guide i have found: www.bonsaiboy.com/catalog/hinokicare.html from what i understand they like the cooler temperatures

Don';t trust the guidelines from bonsaiboy. The guidelines are copy/pasted from other trees and they have simply replaced the tree species - so they are very generic and NOT specific for this tree.

"A [tree species] Bonsai is a living miniature tree and not a house plant; therefore, your bonsai must be maintained in a cool/cold environment during the winter season. As a guide, around Thanksgiving Day it is time to prepare your Bonsai for its winter dormancy period which should last approximately three (3) months"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

Last edit: Post by Auk.
  • Page: