Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

New chinese Elm 5 years 11 months ago #38802

• rotteneye
  • rotteneye's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I recently got a Chinese Elm as a gift. I pruned it quiet a bit to give it shape but it seems to me that a lot of the branches are still not right. Could anyone give me some tipps. Also should I repot this tree soon? I heard that a lot of store bought trees need to be repotted right away. Thanks !

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New chinese Elm 5 years 11 months ago #38808

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
It has potential as a small shohin in the future.
At the moment it is a stump with some twigs in a bad organic soil (it looks rootbound also).
Wires are sloppy and doing absolutely nothing to the tree at the moment, I would take them off, repot it with non-organig mix in a bigger container, and wait it to grow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rotteneye

Last edit: Post by Clicio.

New chinese Elm 5 years 11 months ago #38845

• rotteneye
Thank you Clicio! I bought some substrate soil for bonsai, I hope that is alright, im not too sure what no-organic soil is. I'll go look for that in the next few weeks.
Then I will trim the roots and repot it in a bigger normal garden pot.
I also took the wires off and will read up on how to wire properly.
I am new to all this and and very thank full for your reply. Is there anything els I can do in the short term or should I just let this guy grow for now.
With kind regards.

New chinese Elm 5 years 11 months ago #38846

• rotteneye
come to think of it, how much root should I probably remove. I watched several videos and it seems like I am removing about half the roots from the plant (mainly the roots that are too long and/or thick roots).
Could you give me a few tips on what to watch out for when I attempt to solve the rootbound issue?
Sorry for all these beginner questions.

New chinese Elm 5 years 11 months ago #38858

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
At the moment remove as little roots as possible.it needs a bigger container , good soil and watering properly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rotteneye

New chinese Elm 5 years 11 months ago #38979

• rotteneye
I have planted the tree in a bigger bot and used special bonsai soil. I haven't found any none organic soil yet, I hope this will be good enough for now.
I planted the tree in a bigger bot and hope this will increase the trunk size over the years.
I hope this will be better for the tree now.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

New chinese Elm 5 years 11 months ago #38987

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185

I have planted the tree in a bigger bot and used special bonsai soil. I haven't found any none organic soil yet, I hope this will be good enough for now.

It is an improvement. A remark though... There isn´t such thing as special Bonsai soil. Also, if your whole soil mix is based only in organic material do keep in mind that the watering regime is critical for the thriving (or not) of this tree. Do keep in mind that, in general, organic soils present a poorer drainage than their inorganic counterparts, hence root oxygenation might be impacted as well.

I planted the tree in a bigger bot and hope this will increase the trunk size over the years. I hope this will be better for the tree now.

Be patient... Quite a few years should pass before this tree´s trunk would gain enough girth. Meanwhile do try to keep him alive and enjoy the ride over all things.

Oh... One last thing... Do get rid of that tray... It won´t do no good or it won´t make no difference at all for that matter.

Alain

Last edit: Post by alainleon1983.
  • Page: