Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Styling maxwellii 5 years 8 months ago #43073

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
I have never cared for a Spruce, can't help much...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Styling maxwellii 5 years 8 months ago #43074

• Felidae
  • Felidae's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 236

I have never cared for a Spruce, can't help much...

You’re in a particular zone, Clicio :) You, where you can, you help, and you going in good conversations. But.. you miss sometimes detailing, more in “not sure” cases.

Styling maxwellii 5 years 8 months ago #43075

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

But.. you miss sometimes detailing, more in “not sure” cases.

Felidae, let me put it this way:
Bonsai for me is not a science. Horticultural knowledges are, techniques are, practical developed skills (such as applying wires correctly) are all science, and thus teachable.
I can't pass along wrong information, and I will not be useful to the Forum being the "guesser" or the one that is not responsible for the trees owned by others; so I answer what I know, and refrain when I am not sure.
On the other hand, after learning how to keep the little trees alive, there is much more in bonsai than the science or irrelevant commercial aspects.
And this is what drives me to bonsai. The connection, the awareness, the sublime.
If you have the chance, please read a very good little book by Michael Hagerdorn, called "Post-Dated".
I think you're going to like it.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Auk, Felidae

Last edit: Post by Clicio.

Styling maxwellii 5 years 8 months ago #43080

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

But.. you miss sometimes detailing, more in “not sure” cases.

Felidae, let me put it this way:
Bonsai for me is not a science. Horticultural knowledges are, techniques are, practical developed skills (such as applying wires correctly) are all science, and thus teachable.
I can't pass along wrong information, and I will not be useful to the Forum being the "guesser" or the one that is not responsible for the trees owned by others; so I answer what I know, and refrain when I am not sure.
On the other hand, after learning how to keep the little trees alive, there is much more in bonsai than the science or irrelevant commercial aspects.
And this is what drives me to bonsai. The connection, the awareness, the sublime.

And all of your philosophy is just good, how it is :) I never told, you need to invent or guess an answer. I just told, you’re short sometimes in the answers where you’re not sure on yourself. Clicio, look.. You’re one of the most active, most helpful, most respectful guys in this forum. You have a load of talent for the beauty, more than I’ll ever have. All of this is not for you, just cause of your activeness, you’re the one who take your time to answering me. But no one is perfect! I never saw a perfect anything in my life, so keep yourself how you are.

If you need, I try to explain your shortness with a little example:
From this:

If it's sprouting all is well !

To my mind:

If it's sprouting all is well, but you know where I live, I never kept spruces. I know it’s normal, cause I see similar thing with .... or I never heard of similar thing, but it’ll pull out, just I think you cannot work in that autumn.. or...

So you see. Sprouting is good (except in a hot January on fruit trees...), but I couldn’t know what’s happening on reality now with my spruce.

My concerns is that my lack of experience relies me on what I read about a spec in general, or in forums. Now with spruce: Growth once a year, second growth few weeks after you cared the first growth, dieback if your timing is wrong, don’t touch when it’s on growth.
Did I do something wrong? Yep.. Do I know the consequences? Yep.. Do I know how or when it happens? No.. Do I experienced normal growth pattern with spruces? No...

If it’s me alone without internet, I try to read books, reach people, and experiencing at maximum level, probably killing more trees than not. Now in the “info age” I try to learn from the experiences of others, to keep the body count as low as possible during my beginner years. it’s already few month I had the occasion to read the forum, and looking at the older threads, there was much more activity than today. I don’t know if it’s the social media’s fault, but I won’t change an info gem, like a forum to a shtty social experiment like FB to ask my questions or show my joy. I have the feeling people not commenting some threads, cause they feel insecure to maybe knowing something wrong and get ridiculised, cause here the info stays, not like in Soc.med..

If you have the chance, please read a very good little book by Michael Hagerdorn, called "Post-Dated".
I think you're going to like it

Thank you ^^ I’ll find and buy it.

Styling maxwellii 5 years 8 months ago #43086

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Patience. Just a little patience.
I do not know the timings of flushes. Nor are they fixed in the calender. It has been very hot and dry in nw europe this year. This may also trigger trees to go semi dormant. We had 4 cooler days, and I had bud breaks on several species. I would guess it has to do with the odd spring.

Note, you could have left the wire on. Once wired, the tree is damaged. So removing wire will not help that much. Arguably, it may damage the tree more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Felidae

Styling maxwellii 5 years 8 months ago #43087

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Patience. Just a little patience.
I do not know the timings of flushes. Nor are they fixed in the calender. It has been very hot and dry in nw europe this year. This may also trigger trees to go semi dormant. We had 4 cooler days, and I had bud breaks on several species. I would guess it has to do with the odd spring.

Note, you could have left the wire on. Once wired, the tree is damaged. So removing wire will not help that much. Arguably, it may damage the tree more.

Thanks LB, I was sure you’ll come in!

I have nothing, just patience what I constantly loose towards mankind..
I didn’t gone after a calendar, but here it’s just not looks right that budding. I think you see what I speak about. Here, we had so much rain in the past few months, with the last weeks topping heat around 30-34C. Observing my other plants, they’re around in point with their growth/budding. I feel it’s semi-dormant phase more caused by the trunk chop and heavy pruning in the wrong time.
That tree is emotionally important for me (bought together for our 8th birthday with my man), so I pay a bit more attention than some others.
Why I posted, cause what I read from reputable sources, the tree doing something completely different.

I know, I know.. I asked you before about the damages during the process, or during the growth. I just didn’t felt right to keep on the wires. I have pretty good control on my motoric functions, and did as carefully as I could.

What about the branch dieback? Should I experienced already, or I’m still ahead?

Styling maxwellii 5 years 8 months ago #43088

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

But.. you miss sometimes detailing, more in “not sure” cases...
If it’s me alone without internet, I try to read books, reach people, and experiencing at maximum level

Yes, I know the feeling.
And I swear, after killing some trees just by following the "right" suggestions from the "right" people, I became aware of two important things: location matters, and getting to know my trees deeply is crucial.
My summers, my winters and my local trees are completely different from the ones in Europe; even my native tropicals on the same soil and placement behave differently from each other.
So...
Patience.
Get to know your trees.
Keep asking for help and/or suggestions, and I will answer if I can.

:woohoo:

Styling maxwellii 5 years 8 months ago #43094

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

But.. you miss sometimes detailing, more in “not sure” cases...
If it’s me alone without internet, I try to read books, reach people, and experiencing at maximum level

Yes, I know the feeling.
And I swear, after killing some trees just by following the "right" suggestions from the "right" people..

That’s a lesson for everyone, who take it... Never follow humans blindly.. ;)

Patience.
Get to know your trees.
Keep asking for help and/or suggestions, and I will answer if I can.

:woohoo:

Thanks, Clicio! I’ll do as you and LB said with the patience, not even I have choice to rush nature more than it let me rush.
I just.. just wanted to read some personal experiences with spruce budding in right or wrong time. You know.. stuff like you can note, compare, make measurements according to your personal case.
I must don’t forget that I already made mistakes with that plant, and not again suffered the consequences. Those are not the best bonsai material, or better to say, hard to make a nice specimen from it. Cause of that, don’t have too much enthusiast who’s working with them. (I didn’t count the “I started bonsai today, I brought a nursery spruce...”)

And thank you for I can count on you :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

Styling maxwellii 5 years 8 months ago #43105

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Die back shoukd/would have happened. No worries!

Styling maxwellii 5 years 8 months ago #43106

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Die back shoukd/would have happened. No worries!

Thanks ^^ Good to hear, at least that’s ok.