Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

New Jaboticaba - prune more now, or wait until winter? 5 years 8 months ago #42488

• solobo
  • solobo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
My wife just bought me this Jaboticaba. Here's what it looked like when it arrived:

I gave it a few weeks to recover from being shipped and then started looking at the structure.
There are two kind of parallel trunks that have the bulk of the leaves:

I trimmed a few of the shoots and some of the branches that seemed obviously in the way.
I'm wondering what to do now. My two main questions are:
1) The branch between the red and blue lines has some reverse taper.
If you were me, would you trim it off completely (red line) or prune 2/3 of its branches off and try to focus growth lower, or ???
2) I'd like to get more growth in the lowest left branch, which I think means I should cut back a lot of the growth on the top to encourage more buds down low. Is that correct?
3) WHEN should I do these more major pruning operations? I know end of winter is often best, but from what I've been able to find about Jaboticaba, when you prune may not matter much since it's tropical. I was thinking of either A: leaving it as it and doing a repot / structural pruning in the winter, or B: doing some structural pruning now and a repot in the winter. Any guidance?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Jaboticaba - prune more now, or wait until winter? 5 years 8 months ago #42491

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

My wife just bought me this Jaboticaba.

Welcome to the forum, and congrats for the little tree. It's a tropical, Brazilian native, and it likes hot weather and plenty of water.

There are two kind of parallel trunks that have the bulk of the leaves:

They are not parallel trunks, but one trunk and one branch, the right one.

1) The branch between the red and blue lines has some reverse taper.

That is not a branch, looks like the trunk. But yes, you could make the branch to the left your new leader and it will be the "new" trunk.

2) I'd like to get more growth in the lowest left branch, which I think means I should cut back a lot of the growth on the top to encourage more buds down low. Is that correct?

Yes, to let air and sun to reach the branch down.

3) WHEN should I do these more major pruning operations? ...when you prune may not matter much since it's tropical.

Ah, yes, it's a tropical.
Are you in a tropical country?
No winter at all?
High temperatures and humidity?
Plenty of sun?
IF so, go ahead, they don't care.
BUT...
If you are in a temperate country, things happen way different.
The following user(s) said Thank You: leroycoutts

New Jaboticaba - prune more now, or wait until winter? 5 years 8 months ago #42492

• solobo
  • solobo's Avatar Topic Author
I'm in Nevada. The tree is indoors by a window, so temperature won't change but humidity is low and the amount of light will definitely change in the winter.

New Jaboticaba - prune more now, or wait until winter? 5 years 8 months ago #42495

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I'm in Nevada.

"Nevada" means snowy in Spanish and Portuguese.
And Jaboticabas don't even know what snow is.
Yes, of course you can grow tropicals in Nevada, taking them to shady places in the summer, and protecting them from cold snaps in the winter.
It's more work, and maintaining the same temperature with air conditioning all year round could be harmful for the tree.
They need breeze.
They need changes in humidity.
They need to be outdoors most of the time.
The main problem with air conditioning is low humidity, as you have said.
Perhaps trying to create an environment where you can control the dryness?
As a parameter, I live in Brazil, and we can't grow Japanese White Pines or many Acers here, because they need winter to go dormant, and it just won't happen here. They die, UNLESS many precautions regarding summer heat and fridges simulating winter are taken.
This is NOT to discourage you, it's just to find a way for your tropical to thrive there!:-)
:cheer:

Last edit: Post by Clicio.

New Jaboticaba - prune more now, or wait until winter? 5 years 8 months ago #42499

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Answering you original question, I would be on the safe side and prune and repot by the end of the winter, or in the first week of Spring.

New Jaboticaba - prune more now, or wait until winter? 3 years 3 months ago #63989

• Alessandra_NY
I was doing some research online and came across your post! I just got my husband the exact same and am in NY. How did your Jaboticaba do?

• Page: