Bonsai forum

Bonsai growing rapidly. Looks silly. Should I prune?

• AlohaMahalo
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Bonsai growing rapidly. Looks silly. Should I prune? was created by AlohaMahalo

Posted 5 years 8 months ago #43022
Hey everyone. So I know someone asked about their ficus in another thread...but they were told that it was a "houseplant" and they should go to a different forum?? If I'm not in the appropriate place I apologize...but I someone sold me this for $100 and told me it was Bonsai? I sure hope it is...lol. Can someone provide clarification for me?

I've attached some photos of it. The grower told me after a couple months I could remove the wiring. Its about that time, but I'm wondering if its time to start wiring these other (stems/branches?) If you notice, beyond the S shape of the tree, there are 2 main ones growing vertically. They've grown considerably since I bought the tree...and now it looks totally overgrown and silly. I'm wondering if I'm supposed to wire these or if thats only for the trunk? Maybe I should cut them all the way down at the base, to encourage them to grow into multiple directions instead of just 1 vertical???

If you wouldn't mind telling me what YOU would do if you had this plant in your possession? I don't know the first thing about this. I feel like if I cut those 2 branches that have grown like crazy then I'll be right back where I started when I bought it...but I can't just leave it the way it is. Btw, is it normal for it to grow this rapidly vertically? The rest of the tree has barely changed in all of this time.

Aloha and Mahalo to all of you for taking the time to listen to this newbie :) sorry for being so ignorant! Haha I'm excited to touch it for the first time. Its been about 2 months since I bought it.
Last Edit:5 years 8 months ago by AlohaMahalo

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by AlohaMahalo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Replied by Clicio on topic Bonsai growing rapidly. Looks silly. Should I prune?

Posted 5 years 8 months ago #43025

AlohaMahalo wrote: If you wouldn't mind telling me what YOU would do if you had this plant in your possession?

Hello, welcome, and no, I don't mind at all.
Your young Ficus is growing like crazy because this is what they are supposed to do in summer; but the wire is already bitting, and the old wire marks are still there, where the trunk was bent in that S shape.
So, I would trim the new shoots to the first pair of leaves, take off the wire, and let it grow again.
It will, believe me.
BUT...
Yours is not a bonsai yet, it's a young cutting heavily bent.
I wouldn't pay $100 for it, but you know, this is me.
Ficus can take a lot of abuse.
Don't kill it.
by Clicio

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Bonsai growing rapidly. Looks silly. Should I prune?

Posted 5 years 7 months ago #44170

GeraldMcLane wrote: Yeah, I totally agree.

Why are you responsing to a thread of over a month old? The OP has not been back since.
by leatherback

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Bonsai growing rapidly. Looks silly. Should I prune?

Posted 5 years 7 months ago #44171

leatherback wrote:

GeraldMcLane wrote: Yeah, I totally agree.

Why are you responsing to a thread of over a month old? The OP has not been back since.

LB, as I replled to you in another topic: this is a spambot.

(as spam is an almost daily occurrence, I am not reporting it anymore)
Last Edit:5 years 7 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Auk.