• Page:

TOPIC:

pruning vs. wiring 5 years 7 months ago #43881

• crent89
  • crent89's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 230
Im interested to see what people have to say about using the pruning only technique to completely shape a tree rather then using wire. Or even if someone is currently trying this and how its actually working out.

I have a Crepe Myrtle Im working on, i do not want to add any wire because the bark is just to beautiful to damage. I've pruned it several times but it seems you have to completely rely on back budding if you want branches to take any shape. i have to say up to this point i been pretty lucky and pruning has been responding very well with new buds swelling about 3 days after pruning. i can always use guy wire to bring a branch down but i figured at this point why not try shaping this tree by pruning only. The more i sit an stare at the tree the more i start to understand pruning (at least i think i do lol).

What are your thought about using this technique. pros and cons?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

pruning vs. wiring 5 years 7 months ago #43882

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 600
Looking at crepe myrtles in the yards and places around here, pruning seems to produce real good shapes. Nobody is wiring a 10 foot tree or using guy wires or anything.

I don't think pruning only would produce much of a bonsai for most species. Other opinions could be different and should be considered, but I don't see producing a good bonsai shape in an elm or pine without some kind of wiring.

pruning vs. wiring 5 years 7 months ago #43884

• crent89
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Looking at crepe myrtles in the yards and places around here, pruning seems to produce real good shapes. Nobody is wiring a 10 foot tree or using guy wires or anything.

yeah i dont think ive ever seen anyone wire a 10ft tree so cant really compare that to bonsai. unless your talking about this haha

I don't think pruning only would produce much of a bonsai for most species. Other opinions could be different and should be considered, but I don't see producing a good bonsai shape in an elm or pine without some kind of wiring.

i agree this will not be possible with all species. but there are indeed some very well know masters that use this technique and have some very nice quality bonsai trees (but they also have been doing this for years and understand anything and everything about pruning).

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

pruning vs. wiring 5 years 7 months ago #43886

• Mimo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 921
On deciduous bonsai, I shape 90 percent by pruning - clip and grow technique, as I find shapes of branches created this way more appealing.
Only occasionally I use wire, when the bud doesn´t appear where I want it and I need bring the branch to a certain position.
Pros - nicer looking branches (to me), wire saving, no wire removal damage nor wire marks
Cons - cannot see any - (they say time, but you need it after wiring too if you want to create ramification).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, crent89, Felidae, leroycoutts

pruning vs. wiring 5 years 7 months ago #43889

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

On deciduous bonsai, I shape 90 percent by pruning - clip and grow technique ...

I am growing a Brazilian Rain Tree with no wires at all, only clip&grow.
On tropicals, that grow fast, it is surely the best approach.
Wouldn't do it though on a slow growing evergreen, like pines, or deciduous, like beech.
The following user(s) said Thank You: crent89, Felidae

pruning vs. wiring 5 years 7 months ago #43893

• crent89
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

On deciduous bonsai, I shape 90 percent by pruning - clip and grow technique, as I find shapes of branches created this way more appealing.
Only occasionally I use wire, when the bud doesn´t appear where I want it and I need bring the branch to a certain position.

ok i have a few bare spots a bud has yet to grow. so this might be a last resort.

Pros - nicer looking branches (to me), wire saving, no wire removal damage nor wire marks
Cons - cannot see any - (they say time, but you need it after wiring too if you want to create ramification).

does this mean more scares on the branches? or since they are fairly small they arent to noticeable or heal over pretty fast?

pruning vs. wiring 5 years 7 months ago #43895

• Mimo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 921
Scars after branch cutting will be visible for quite some time, that´s true. I don´t mind them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: crent89

• Page: