Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

New Chinese Elm Help 5 years 3 months ago #46033

• jhs0718
  • jhs0718's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hey everyone! I have a few questions about this new Chinese elm that I bought today. First off, this is my first ever bonsai so I'm completely lost as to what I should do. I bought some, I think, 2 mm wire to shape it. I am confused about pruning though. I am not sure if I should prune anything right now or let it grow? Also I'm not sure what I should do with the wire yet, should I keep letting it grow or shape it now? I've attached a picture of it. Let me know what you guys think I should do!

Thanks,
Josh

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by jhs0718.

New Chinese Elm Help 5 years 3 months ago #46036

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Hey everyone! I have a few questions about this new Chinese elm that I bought today. First off, this is my first ever bonsai

Mallsai...

I'm completely lost as to what I should do
I am confused about pruning
I am not sure if I should prune
Also I'm not sure what I should do with the wire
Let me know what you guys think I should do!

Reading the above, you have no clue what you're doing. What I think is that you should have studied the subject BEFORE buying a plant.

New Chinese Elm Help 5 years 3 months ago #46039

• jhs0718
Thanks for no help at all! I did state that I have no idea what to do. I'd prefer people to respond that are actually going to help me excel rather than just say "yep you're right you don't know what you're doing." In what world is that going to help anyone? If you have any way of helping me I would appreciate it, but I'd rather the negative comments to not be here. I've actually done a lot of research on bonsai and still am confused. And reading is in no way close to actually having the plant and having to do it yourself.

New Chinese Elm Help 5 years 3 months ago #46046

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Decide what you want to achieve. You right now have not bought material that is set up to be anything but what you have there. (www.growingbonsai.net/why-is-my-tree-not-a-bonsai/). If you are after growing a bonsai, you would have to take some drastic steps. See e.g. www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/progressions/...ught-an-ulmus-bonsai to understand some of the responses you might get on this plant.

So.. Decide what you want to achieve first. Where do you see this plant go in a decade or two? Stay similar to what you have? Or are you after something completely different.

Bonsai is for some a very large hobby, and much more than keeping a trimmed tree in the windowsill. There is a mountain of things to be learned if you want more than a trimmed plant in the windowsill.

New Chinese Elm Help 5 years 3 months ago #46048

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
If the question were, "I bought a guitar, how do I play it?" there would be a lot of questions back about what kind of music you want to play, etc. Your specific question is a little more narrow than that, but there is a tremendous amount more to know than just how to keep it alive.

In japan there will be someone close who has kept trees alive a long time, and probably more than one. The exact answer to your question is hard without knowing how cold it is going to get, how much it will rain, etc. Find them. They know local climate.

In the meantime, if it is not raining, sprinkle water every now and then on the soil until water pours out of the drain holes, then let it go for several days until it starts to dry out. Don't try to water if it's freezing. Keep them out of hard winds. Watch for bugs. Don't fertilize until local experts say they fertilize pines. Look up species guides on the internet aand see what they say about the particular species. They will like sunlight, even in winter. They will not like being inside.

New Chinese Elm Help 5 years 3 months ago #46049

• jhs0718
Ok, I realize this is in fact what you guys call a "mallsai". Which leads me to even more confusion. It seems as though I am supposed to cut back the trunk to just after the first bend? I am very confused as the guy who supposedly teaches bonsai classes kept telling me that this was a good bonsai. Clearly it is not. Any suggestions?

New Chinese Elm Help 5 years 3 months ago #46050

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
To be honest:

Figure out whether the person who teaches means the species is good for bonsai, or this plant. If the latter, find an other teacher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

New Chinese Elm Help 5 years 3 months ago #46087

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487

Ok, I realize this is in fact what you guys call a "mallsai". Which leads me to even more confusion. It seems as though I am supposed to cut back the trunk to just after the first bend? I am very confused as the guy who supposedly teaches bonsai classes kept telling me that this was a good bonsai. Clearly it is not. Any suggestions?

Are you sure he didn't say :" the plant is good FOR bonsai" because it is a good species for bonsai...

New Chinese Elm Help 5 years 3 months ago #46094

• jhs0718
No, he definitely said that it was a good choice as a bonsai, talking about the specific one I had, not the entire species.

New Chinese Elm Help 5 years 3 months ago #46095

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

No, he definitely said that it was a good choice as a bonsai, talking about the specific one I had, not the entire species.

Maybe he didn't want to hurt your feelings. I don't have a problem with that: this is not a good choice as a bonsai (talking about the shape, the way it's trained. Not about the species).

If he meant it, I'm going to agree with LB: find another teacher.

Last edit: Post by Auk.
  • Page: