Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Is it too late to prune my young Chinese elms? 5 years 2 weeks ago #47535

• Blayd
  • Blayd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2
Hi all.
I have several small trees, and today, re potted most of them, as it seems like here in SW Virginia, we are coming out of winter.
I had kept all my out door trees, in a small, shelter, covered in white plastic with a PVC frame. They seem to all be alive, but several dont look to well.
But my question here is this...
My Trident maple has small leaves already putting out, ( about 1/2".. not quite open yet )
And my Chinese elms, have VERY small leaves sprouting on some branches. These elms, have been left alone for the past couple years, as I try to learn to just keep them alive, so they are spindly, wirery and have a ton of small branches, more like a small bush then a tree.
My plan was to cut these back hard towards the trunk, but the growth started surprising me.
So, I am trying to figure out if the structural pruning time is past, or if I can still cut back hard and they will sprout new growth.
I will take a few pics, I also included my Sekka Hinoki, which for some reason, is pale green on one side, and dark green on the other.. dying? I think so...
Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks in advance.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Is it too late to prune my young Chinese elms? 5 years 2 weeks ago #47537

• Hansen
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 86
If you want to prune your elm for new growth. Then you can prune it in the middle of spring, then you will get plenty of new growth.

Is it too late to prune my young Chinese elms? 5 years 2 weeks ago #47548

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
You are fine. Actually, now you can clearly see where the tree is already pushing buds so it makes it easier to trim now, if you are less familiar.

The maple.. i would probable not reduce too much, but raher let it beef up a bit. The elm needs a bit of trimming and sorting of branches indeed.

What is your long term plan with these?

• Page: