Bonsai forum

Advice on what to do with this Japanese Larch

• DomPerkins
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1

Advice on what to do with this Japanese Larch was created by DomPerkins

Posted 5 years 1 week ago #48517
Hi,

I have been given a Japanese larch by my partner as a surprise gift. I have 6 other bonsai but only 1 of which I have trained completely myself, the rest were purchased semi trained and it was quiet obvious the direction / style they were naturally forming... Having looked at this tree most days for a couple of weeks after work, I still don't have much idea what to with it... to me it looks like the wrong branch/ leader has been removed and now it just looks odd, and not something i would have personally chosen to work on... Anyway, I would really like some ideas as my eyes for spotting potential really aren't very good having only a few years experience, so have a look and let me know your suggestions..

thank you!
by DomPerkins

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Advice on what to do with this Japanese Larch

Posted 5 years 1 week ago #48519
Hard without the trees in front. But this could be a direction to take it, if you feel like a tall slender trunkline.

This image is hidden for guests.
by leatherback

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DomPerkins

• DomPerkins
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by DomPerkins on topic Advice on what to do with this Japanese Larch

Posted 5 years 1 week ago #48521

leatherback wrote: Hard without the trees in front. But this could be a direction to take it, if you feel like a tall slender trunkline.

This image is hidden for guests.

that is definitely an option, thank you for the Photoshop effort. I wondered if the current leader could be bent over to hide that ugly cut, but it's almost an inch thick at the base... the more i look the more i just see a tree that had great potential but then a bit butchered
by DomPerkins

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 5 years 1 week ago #48528

DomPerkins wrote: that is definitely an option, thank you for the Photoshop effort. I wondered if the current leader could be bent over to hide that ugly cut, but it's almost an inch thick at the base... the more i look the more i just see a tree that had great potential but then a bit butchered

Don't worry too much about the chop. Either make it a small yin, or cut it smoot with the main trunk. Over time it will close. Larch grow over wounds well.

See mine:
www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/progressions/12428-larch-in-progress
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: DomPerkins

• DomPerkins
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by DomPerkins on topic Advice on what to do with this Japanese Larch

Posted 5 years 1 week ago #48537
Thank you for the advice, your tree has become something really very nice.. Good job..
I think it's the straightness of my tree that makes it hard as it would of made a great classic straight shape im sure... Im also apprehensive to cut it right down as my girlfriend probably paid a bit for it from a bonsai nursery. I'd probably get in a bit of trouble with her if i chopped most of it off..
I might take it back to the place / person who sold it and see if they can show me what they had in mind, or ask to swap it :lol:
Last Edit:5 years 1 week ago by DomPerkins
Last edit: 5 years 1 week ago by DomPerkins.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 5 years 1 week ago #48539
Personally, I think your tree is great starting material. Maybe you could tilt it a bit. But is het pretty decent movement, branches in the right places. Decide what you want to do with the chopsite. Then wire the branches in place. Reduce the number of branches (But keep in mind, Larch does NOT grow new buds, typically!).

In 2, 3 years this can be a nice tree.
by leatherback