Few-year-old Goyomatsu, pruning|general questions

Rendering Error in layout User/Profile: Class "KunenaFactory" not found. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Few-year-old Goyomatsu, pruning|general questions was created by tajimishiRich

Posted 4 years 11 months ago #48830
Forgive the nature of my visual support materials :P

I've had a couple of Goyomatsu for a week or so. I've been doing something kind of 'indecent' with them (hence the lack of photograph to avoid flamers) but I have a question about one of them, which I fear may be misplacing vigour. I would like to state here that I deem this post to be about pruning, as all of my questions are asked with an aim towards understanding the best time/way to prune my bonsai, but there is a fair chunk of background info that I hope won't be interpreted as being off-topic!

As you can see in the sketch attached (the circled portion) there is a small node sprouting from the trunk of the pine which has grown some needles and even a small, er, I'm not sure if one would call it a candle or a bud, just a little mace of lush looking needletips. I am unsure what I wish to do with this node, I feel that a small branch at this point may look picturesque in future (i may even try to make it appear to be 'Jin') but I am unsure if it is sapping vigour from nodes and branches further along the bonsai, and perhaps preventing a larger thickening of the trunk...

I am rather hoping someone would be able to simply list off the various things I could do, and the various consequences thereof, with this little branch.

To provide a bit more background, I am enthusiastic about bonsai but I've a limited ability to inquire after them at local dealers (I live in Japan) and youtube videos rarely seem to touch on the age and precise species of my bonsai (plural) As such I've a variety of only partially understood directives floating around my head.

Specifically I'm unclear on the following things:
> Needles. Can trimming/halving needles in spring redirect vigour?
> Buds. Would cutting off buds at this point in the year have any positive or non-harmful effects? Such as on redirecting vigour? Or is it entirely the wrong time to do it?
> Age. The bonsai is only a few years old, I would say the trunk shown in the sketch could be measured at about 4-5mm thick, the total length of the bonsai (now bent into the attached shape) may be around 10cm including new growth) Is it wise to be doing anything to these bonsai this year?
> Watering. I am currently in spring, but my city is famous for being the hottest in Japan in summer, and spring is already pretty steamy on sunny days. At the moment I am moistening the soil with a spray whenever I notice that it has dried out (I've been doing this by sight, not by touch test) which is about once per day. Is this too much?
> Fertilizing. I've read and heard a lot about fertilizing on western sites and videos, but I've not had any advice about this from local bonsai enthusiasts with whom I was able to chat. What is fertilizing? What fertilizer would be ideal for my goyomatsu? ('white pine bonsai' i believe)

>> The bonsai was transplanted into a larger pot after being bought at a bonsai festival, the uppermost roots have been exposed since I put them in, it doesn't seem to have affected the vigour of the bonsai to date (since purchase many buds and even a couple of new branches have sprung up)

My default position is to do nothing, but I wish to gather information to securely understand my relationship with this bonsai.
by tajimishiRich

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rendering Error in layout User/Profile: Class "KunenaFactory" not found. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Few-year-old Goyomatsu, pruning|general questions

Posted 4 years 11 months ago #48833
The best thing you can do with this tiny seedling is nothing other than watering. There is nothing to prune or pinch. It will be years before this is big enough to do much
by m5eaygeoff
The following user(s) said Thank You: tajimishiRich

Few-year-old Goyomatsu, pruning|general questions - Bonsai forum

Bonsai forum

Replied by leatherback on topic Few-year-old Goyomatsu, pruning|general questions

Posted 4 years 11 months ago #48834
For the non-japanese here: Goyomatsu - Japanese white pine / Japanese five needle pine: Pinus parviflora

Most techniques you describe are aimed at more mature specimens. For now, I would focus on getting a larger trunk (Which mean more growth). Typically, this is achieved by letting the to grow. It is important however to ensure the lowest branch gets enough sunlight: In the end you will probably build your tree from the first branch. But there are many way sto skin a cat, and you will have to read up a bit on the different ways to grow a bonsai from seed. It is a skill in and off itself.
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: tajimishiRich

Replied by Auk on topic Few-year-old Goyomatsu, pruning|general questions

Posted 4 years 11 months ago #48836

tajimishiRich wrote: I've a limited ability to inquire after them at local dealers
(I live in Japan)

That's like not being able to inquire about wine while in France... language issue or wrong area?
by Auk

Replied by tajimishiRich on topic Few-year-old Goyomatsu, pruning|general questions

Posted 4 years 11 months ago #48838

leatherback wrote: For the non-japanese here: Goyomatsu - Japanese white pine / Japanese five needle pine: Pinus parviflora

Most techniques you describe are aimed at more mature specimens. For now, I would focus on getting a larger trunk (Which mean more growth). Typically, this is achieved by letting the to grow. It is important however to ensure the lowest branch gets enough sunlight: In the end you will probably build your tree from the first branch. But there are many way sto skin a cat, and you will have to read up a bit on the different ways to grow a bonsai from seed. It is a skill in and off itself.

Thanks very much indeed! Getting sun to that branch sounds like something I can definitely do something more about (rotating the pot) This bonsai isn't grown from seed, it's a few years old - bought it at a bonsai festival. A larger trunk is cool, alright as you say I'll just try to keep it alive for the first few years ;)

Auk wrote:

tajimishiRich wrote: I've a limited ability to inquire after them at local dealers
(I live in Japan)

That's like not being able to inquire about wine while in France... language issue or wrong area?

That's about it lol, I've yet to learn that kind of vocab and I don't want to bother my partner asking her to translate for me :dry:

m5eaygeoff wrote: The best thing you can do with this tiny seedling is nothing other than watering. There is nothing to prune or pinch. It will be years before this is big enough to do much

Thanks very much for the definiteness :)
Last Edit:4 years 11 months ago by tajimishiRich
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by tajimishiRich.