• Page:

TOPIC:

Beautiful JWP Help 4 years 10 months ago #48873

• appleaNbananas
  • appleaNbananas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 6
Help me style please. I need help with branches I should remove.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Beautiful JWP Help 4 years 10 months ago #48876

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
Which is the chosen front of your tree?

Beautiful JWP Help 4 years 10 months ago #48878

• appleaNbananas
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I havent decided 100% but I think I want the curved upper branch from the main trunk to be perpendicular to the front so the image of the inside would be the left or right depending on how the finished style is determined. The back budding and the branch options look to lend itself to a nice cascading style formal upright. I don't know if I should let it grow more, or start pruning for the style above? If it's ready? Steps to take to prepare for the chops when it is ready,etc. It's a great cultivar and it's growth is very strong. I think if I had to choose this would be the front, as of now!

This message has an attachment image.

Last edit: Post by appleaNbananas.

Beautiful JWP Help 4 years 10 months ago #48884

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
The two lower branches are opposite and will cause inverse taper if both are left Same applies to the next higher ones. It is difficult to tell from the pictures, I think I might remove one of the lower ones tilt the tree slightly to take away the vertical and go with one of the upper branches as leader, but without hands on it I can't say which you will have to decide.
The following user(s) said Thank You: appleaNbananas

Beautiful JWP Help 4 years 10 months ago #48887

• appleaNbananas
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thank you for your input.
I am aware of the opposite branch effect on inverse taper, but to this point, the tree has exhibited a natural taper that I have no complaints about.

Going forward, as I begin to style for it's final bonsai state, it's health and growth are most important. With that, I am a little unfamiliar with hard cutbacks on pines, especially a pine such as this, it's striking without a touch. It's growth is aggressive. I don't want a hard cut back to take away from it's growing season, so I ask is this a good time for this type of pruning in NE United States, South East Pennsylvania.

Also, if I was to use the upper most branch (captured in the OP) with a nice natural bend to be the leader, I would have to tilt the main trunk upward towards 45 degrees, which is not exactly what I had in mind with trunk's natural growth. What benefits would that provide the tree that outweigh the formal upright cascade style I am looking to proceed with, which is what I see when I look through the tree?

Will this encourage upwards growth? It's about 20 inches tall and about 24-28 inches wide from base to apex and at it's widest point. What is a good height for a nice specimen in 10 years?

I am pretty familiar with Maple and Decidious Trees and how t o prune - but i have noticed that Pine, in particular, are very sensitive to aggressive cutbacks. With my maples, I leave about an inch of excess to die back, what's the best approach with Pines, especially JWPs from your experience? My greatest concern at this point is that the back budding has been so successful to this point, that I am worried that inner nodes are going to start dying from lack of energy from not getting sun.

I will keep this thread active and updated with pictures as I proceed through the early spring, and into summer with this tree

Beautiful JWP Help 4 years 10 months ago #48889

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I will keep this thread active and updated with pictures as I proceed through the early spring, and into summer with this tree

Please do keep us updated.
I agree the T bar branches low down are a problem in the long run.
I would get rid of the left one, and wire down one of the other left branches in the future to fill in the gap.

Last edit: Post by Clicio.

Beautiful JWP Help 4 years 10 months ago #48896

• appleaNbananas
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Post initial prune update:
Don't mind the paper - it's my way of sealing since paper is just recycled trees.

This message has attachments images.

Beautiful JWP Help 4 years 10 months ago #48897

• appleaNbananas
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Maybe a new front?

This message has an attachment image.

Beautiful JWP Help 4 years 10 months ago #48922

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey, I think I said "cut the first left branch and bend down the branch above it..."
And you chopped both!
And I remember writing "in the future", didn't I?

Beautiful JWP Help 4 years 10 months ago #48933

• appleaNbananas
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
The other left branch was unappealing. I like cuts I made. I am giving it some time to recover and then I have a few more cuts to make on apex to open it up a bit more. But I have the tree sitting on a 30 degree angle getting good light into the tree. The branch above was also a t branch opposite of my favorite branch.

• Page: