TOPIC:

Young spruce 4 years 11 months ago #48885

• Ricky73
  • Ricky73's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 50
Hi all,
back in autumn 2016 I bought, for 5.99€, this very young little tree (should be a Canadian Spruce)...it was sold to be a little Christmas tree (picture 1) but I meant to use it as a training material.
So I pruned, wired and repotted it in spring 2017... I did not have the possibility of planting it into the ground so I chose a reasonably big pot (but yes, I know it should have been bigger..)
It has been quite shy so far, but this spring it's bursting with new growth (picture 2)..
- Do you think this tree is suitable to be trained, in the long run, as a bonsai?
- Can you give me any advice for the next steps (I'd like, for example, to repot it in a bigger pot over a tile to improve radial root growth)?
Thanks everybody!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Ricky73.

Young spruce 4 years 11 months ago #48886

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
Yes, it can be a bonsai in the future.
The main problem are the three branches growing from the same place low down, they are already making the trunk fatten creating inverse taper.
IF IT WERE MINE (it is NOT mine, I know) I would chop it down to the whorl of low branches and get rid of one of the two on the left side. Then I would tilt the tree on the next repot, wire it so creating a new leader from one of the remaining branches.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ricky73

Young spruce 4 years 11 months ago #48900

• Ricky73
  • Ricky73's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 50
Thanks Clicio!
this is an aggressive plan but it's what I will probably do… however, before proceeding, I've got one more question: even if I chopped the tree, remove one of the 3 branches and use another one as a new leader, wouldn't the remaining one still continue to create inverse taper, being at such a low height?
Also create a sort of "imbalance" in the tree, with just one single lonely branch so low in the trunk?
...Also...just thinking… if I chopped all 3 lower branches? I presume this would make things even worse, creating inverse taper also on the top section of the trunk, right?
Many thanks!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Page: