• Page:

TOPIC:

The Great Azalea Project 4 years 10 months ago #48955

• Ivan Mann
  • Ivan Mann's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 600
I thought I would have three azaleas to dig up. There were four that had air layered from the three originals. Most of them are pretty obvious what to do, but this one is sort of mysterious. It seems to want to be a literati which would be a strange azalea, but if that is what it wants, who am I to argue?

Obviously no matter what cut of the long straight one. Then, two options? Chop the other one down to a cool inches or leave it long and bend the angles out? Are there better options?

That pot of not the final destination. Between the azaleas and the nandinas I have run out of training pots and will put anything in any pot big enough to hold the roots. I have no idea where I am going to put all these trees.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Great Azalea Project 4 years 10 months ago #48960

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
mame?

The Great Azalea Project 4 years 10 months ago #48971

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

mame?

Since it is about half a meter high right now and I barely got the root ball into that pot, I don't think name is a possibility. Of course chop the whole thing down close to the ground may be the right thing. I just look at it and see literati. Maybe I need new glasses?

Another question is that all seven have pretty long distances between nodes which I assume is because they were all on the north side of the house and got very little sun? You can see that in the picture. The first one I dug up has leaves sprouting all over, which should be because it is on the south side and gets quite a bit more sun.

The Great Azalea Project 4 years 10 months ago #48980

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
My main point was: You now have a lanky branch without anything going for it. So I would cut it back substantially.

The Great Azalea Project 4 years 10 months ago #48981

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

You now have a lanky branch without anything going for it. So I would cut it back substantially.

It makes sense.

The Great Azalea Project 4 years 10 months ago #48987

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

My main point was: You now have a lanky branch without anything going for it. So I would cut it back substantially.

OK, that is easy. Would I cut off the long vertical branch that looks like sucker completely and leave the other one maybe 10 cm or so? Or cut them both back to about that much and go for a double trunk, two about the same length? I don't think leave the long one. It just looks too straight.

• Page: