• Page:

TOPIC: Where to start?

Where to start? 1 month 3 weeks ago #49586

I purchased this Juniper bonsai from a garden center that wasn't really taking care of it [or at least not pruning/shaping] for what could be several years. I have no idea how old it is. This pot is about 18" diameter to give you a sense of scale ... its a big tree! I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on how to proceed with this or things I should think about.

I read through the page here about junipers and I have a few other bonsai plants, so care taking is no problem - but this is a little overwhelming of a beast for a newbie like myself.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• matthewbonsais
  • matthewbonsais's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Where to start? 1 month 3 weeks ago #49587

This is just a young Juniper untrained or styled and in an unsuitable pot. If you decide to prune then you need to remember that the strength of Juniper is in the foliage so don/t do heavy pruning,, just do enough to get light into the interior of the tree. the age of the tree is irrelevant. I think if it was mine I would plant it in the ground for a couple of years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: matthewbonsais
  • m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 395

Where to start? 1 month 3 weeks ago #49593

... beast?? It's even rather small..
As already said here: this is a young plant. Plant it in the garden, let it thrive for a few seasons and in the mean while get your knowledge about what to to up so you know what to do when the time comes.
  • lucR
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 47

Where to start? 1 month 3 weeks ago #49603

Hey matthew,

This lookks like a nice find. Thank you for stating the size. It looks much smaller from the pucture! (Is the pot really 18 inch / 44 cm?)

For now i would focus a year maybe two on gerting foliage closed to the trunk. So lettting the plant grow well, nicely fertilized, watered with good sun, and mid spring removing the outermost growth. Remember, leave enough foliage on individual branches. Sections with no foliage at the end will die.

Meanwhile study the tree, make a.srylong plan. Maybe a sketch. Look at it from all angles, also tilting the pot
  • leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 2033

Where to start? 1 month 2 weeks ago #49609

leatherback wrote:
This lookks like a nice find. Thank you for stating the size. It looks much smaller from the pucture! (Is the pot really 18 inch / 44 cm?)

Oops, I misread the size, thought is was 18 cm.. Tx for pointing that out LB..
Indeed a big one if the pot is 44 cm....
  • lucR
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 47

Where to start? 1 month 2 weeks ago #49626

Thanks so much everyone! Yes to clarify it is an 18 inch pot, not CM. And "beast" was more in reference to how untrained and bushy it is more than the size. I appreciate all the advice and we'll try to find a bigger pot perhaps? I can't plant it in the ground because I'm renting, but could probably do a bigger pot. Any advice on that is welcome and thanks again for all the input so far!!
  • matthewbonsais
  • matthewbonsais's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
  • Page: