Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

First Hard Pruning 4 years 10 months ago #49599

• onionz
  • onionz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Hello everyone! This is Ryan. I wish to do a hard pruning of my newly bought Wisteria in the winter when it goes dormant. This will be a bonsai but I am going to repot it in a bigger pot and grow the trunk (it is 2cm right now). I would like some suggestions on where to prune with regards to a good shape for this plant. Also should I start wiring it now? Here are some pictures.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

First Hard Pruning 4 years 10 months ago #49601

• onionz
Here is my initial thoughts of pruning. Training the new branches that form over to the left.

First Hard Pruning 4 years 10 months ago #49605

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Just to make sure: it was only inside for the picture, right? If not, bring it outside to keep it healthy.

I would not prune it now. Growth depends on aboveground biomass. Let it grow for another season. It will get bigger much faster. Wisteria loves water during the growing season (and want to be drier in winter).

The plan you have now will end up in two competing trunks which in general is less attractive. I would go only with the left trunk but take tje first branch towards the right, to get a few curves.

First Hard Pruning 4 years 10 months ago #49606

• onionz
It is indoors. It had more foliage but I defoliated and took off the tips of the branches. I picked wisteria because it was said it could be done indoors. I would have to talk to my landlord about putting it outdoors but dogs will definitely pee on it daily. We are a dog-friendly apartment complex. I could plant it commando style somewhere but I would risk losing it. I was planning on potting it in a big pot and let it grow.

Last edit: Post by onionz.

First Hard Pruning 4 years 10 months ago #49607

• onionz

The plan you have now will end up in two competing trunks which in general is less attractive. I would go only with the left trunk but take tje first branch towards the right, to get a few curves.

Are you saying to prune the first branch and the other trunk and keep the upper branches? I hadn't seen that. Sounds like a better way to get some fullness.

First Hard Pruning 4 years 10 months ago #49608

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
I am saying to put it outside and let it grow a sew seasons. After that, prune.

First Hard Pruning 4 years 10 months ago #49610

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
Wisteria need to be tall because of the length of the racemes. I would not put it into a bigger pot as to flower it needs to be potbound. whoever told you that this plant will survive inside knows nothing about plants, or was just saying anything to get a sale. This species needs lots of water, and sun. If there are dogs, then put it up on a table but it must be outside.

• Page: