Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Hinoki cypress 4 years 6 months ago #53368

• tubaboy
  • tubaboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 170
The fact that there are large gaps between the pieces of wood lets lots of air through... the fabric is not plastic... it's a canvas mix... so it lets plenty of air and water through, as I wrote earlier. It's not going to stay like this for very long... I'm doing a real repot in spring.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hinoki cypress 4 years 6 months ago #53369

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

The original plastic planter from the garden center was torn... so I had to put it in something else.... the root ball is as deep as the the box. the "soil" around the root ball is only zeolite, so it should be fine... as far as watering is concerned. I'm thinking I might take up to 30% of the root ball and cut the grow box down maybe half... is that a good plan? I'm not sure if I want to add some organic material to the soil mix in the spring, what do you think?

I think in spring you would have had time to find a container of appropriate size fr training the tree. Something shallow and wide comes to mind. Then do your friendly root reduction and spread the roots, removing most of the organics, yet sparing the roots as much as possible.

Hinoki cypress 4 years 6 months ago #53370

• BofhSkull
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 121

But really, I think the OP are happy if we stick to the questions, what do you think?

I only think I have no experience with cypresses to share, so can't really tell much.
I'd more or less treat it like a juniper, I guess, meaning it should be fine as long as you cut back to some thing green.

I still wouldn't cut more than 35-40% of the foliage, and possibly do that only after it started growing next spring.

Hinoki cypress 4 years 6 months ago #53371

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

But really, I think the OP are happy if we stick to the questions, what do you think?

I'd be happy to see your answer to the questions.

Hinoki cypress 4 years 6 months ago #53372

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1351

I'd be happy to see your answer to the questions.

I have no more experience in cypress than cutting my neighbours cypress hedge once a year. Do you still want me to participate in the discussion?

Br
Magnus

Hinoki cypress 4 years 6 months ago #53377

• tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I think in spring you would have had time to find a container of appropriate size fr training the tree. Something shallow and wide comes to mind. Then do your friendly root reduction and spread the roots, removing most of the organics, yet sparing the roots as much as possible.

Do you think a grow box that was better made and of more appropriate size would work? I don't think I need a bonsai pot yet... :-)

Hinoki cypress 4 years 6 months ago #53378

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
That, or just any other somewhat shallow container really. I have a stack of trays a few cm tall, and 30*40cm. Ideal for trees in the buildup phase
The following user(s) said Thank You: tubaboy

Hinoki cypress 4 years 2 months ago #56122

• tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

That, or just any other somewhat shallow container really. I have a stack of trays a few cm tall, and 30*40cm. Ideal for trees in the buildup phase

This container is 56x41x8,5 I'm thinking of something like this. I can get one that is 12 cm tall too. But this is the kind of thing you were talking about, right?

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Hinoki cypress 4 years 2 months ago #56124

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yeah. Mine have a series of bright colors, as they are decoartive hometrays but yes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tubaboy

Hinoki cypress 1 year 4 weeks ago #79693

• tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
So I thought an update would be good here.. it is a ceramic pot, but finally out of it's makeshift container.. going to work with this one for now.. slowly reducing the root mass, and the organics in the middle.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.