Bonsai forum

Ficus styling advice

• Bonsai Bruh
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Ficus styling advice was created by Bonsai Bruh

Posted 4 years 4 months ago #54602
Hey guys,

I am a beginner with a few ficus trees and I'm looking forward to styling. Looking for some input on which way would better suit the tree as I've got a couple ideas.

Couple things first:

-I know this pot is way to big. I was an idiot and hurried to repot it before it would be too late in the season and grabbed the only one there. I also made my own soil in a hurry and it sucks (first lesson in patients I've learned!)
-its wired a little already because I was going to do a poor job of informal up right orginally

After following bonsai instagrams my dreams became bigger and I'm thinking of maybe going semi cascade. I drew some lines on it of what I would like to do..

Also thinking about making a trunk with some movement, leaving a few sacrifice branches to thicken the trunk, and focus on a new leader that has a light s. I'd probably try to wire the trunk to create a bit more, and after a year or two cut all the sacrifice branches and just leave a thicker s trunk

I am thinking about starting the styling this spring after I repot it into a smaller pot with some good quality soil. Anyways my questions are:

Which do you guys think would best suit this tree?

Do you think I am rushing into this, and should I let it grow more and thicken up before deciding?

Is the timing to begin styling too early in this trees journey?

Ty guys!
Last Edit:4 years 4 months ago by Bonsai Bruh

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Bonsai Bruh.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Ficus styling advice

Posted 4 years 4 months ago #54603
hey welcom!

ro me, semi cascade looks too contrives on many trees. could you? possibly. should you? nah..

i would keep the basic outline as it it. go for informal upright. the tree is still very young and has lots of growing to do still.

i would leave it in the pot you gave it. once a year do a trimback. maybe let the top grow freelly to encourage thickening for a few years.

have fun!
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bonsai Bruh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.