Bonsai forum

Which of these fronts works better for this cascade style Juniper?

• Lawlcat
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1

Which of these fronts works better for this cascade style Juniper? was created by Lawlcat

Posted 4 years 2 months ago #56632
I'm hoping to get more opinions on what makes a better front for this Juniper I'm doing in a cascade style. I've used my excellent photoshop skills to add in a random pot I found on google

Option 1 is to the left, a little wider
This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Option 2 is to the right and forward a bit
This image is hidden for guests.

I'm almost 50/50 on both, though leaning a bit more to Option 2. To the right hides that branch I chopped coming out the back, and it could turn into a jin that you just barely catch a glimpse of which might be neat. I also feel it's tighter and would work great in a slender, tall pot. I feel that it looks more refined and submissive, almost like it is bowing to the viewer. But it does have the trunk coming straight up out of the pot. It does also have a much more interesting up and then down curve in the trunk

Option 1 though is wider and feels more "traditional". It's like the tree is trying to really show off it's trunk line, and starts to come back up at the end. Movement overall seems nice, and the trunk is angled where it enters the pot. But it has a lot of open trunk that doesn't show much at all except that first branch. If I jin it, I think it would draw your eye to it annoyingly instead of towards the cascade so I'd have to remove it fully. Then there's a long gap to the first real foliage of the tree. Being wider I could probably get away with a slightly shorter and stockier pot
by Lawlcat

This message has attachments images.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Replied by Clicio on topic Which of these fronts works better for this cascade style Juniper?

Posted 4 years 1 month ago #56663
I think the number 2 is less obvious.
I like cascades a little shorter and some tapering at the lower end; a t\prune will change the direction of the lower part, shorten th tree a little and promote taper.
But that's only my opinion, of course.
by Clicio

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.