Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

How to increase density of leaves 4 years 3 weeks ago #57247

• thumoo
  • thumoo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi all,

My bonsai is doing rather well, but I would like some advice if I may. As you can see in the pictures The leaves have apical dominance, but I am unsure how to proceed to enable growth to increase the density of the leaves. It does not look (to me) that there would be any growth further down the branches as they are long and I would rather not prune the wrong leaves and end up with it just getting taller with all the leaves just at the top.

Any suggestions on what I would need to do to achieve this would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How to increase density of leaves 4 years 3 weeks ago #57259

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Main thing to do is to get this plant happy and healthy. Now it is just clinging to life.

Bring it outside when weather permits. Give it, after proper adjustment to sun intensity, plenty of light, heat, water and fertilizer. Then, when you see new leaces every few days, remove all leaves & growing tips. The tree will explode with new buds. But first thing.. Get it strong again.

How to increase density of leaves 4 years 3 weeks ago #57268

• thumoo
  • thumoo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I'm not able to put it outside as I live in a first floor flat and there is no garden available. It does however sit on my window sill where I'm able to open the window and it gets direct sunlight from midday until when the sun sets. I was thinking that it might be time to re-pot it with some fresh bonsai soil as it has been a couple of years since it was done. So perhaps do that and leave it to settle?

• Page: