Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

need styling and pruning advice 3 years 10 months ago #60143

• Rens
  • Rens's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
hi guys , need your advice on how to make attached plant in to bonsai. (Styling and pruning ).
there are 3 branches in base (image attached ) , should i keep them .all branches are growing upwards should i wire them and get it down. plz help and advice.
Rens

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

need styling and pruning advice 3 years 10 months ago #60146

• Jin
I think some layering would look nice. Start out by wiring the lowest branch to make it more horizontal and the same to a few others, with a little more pruning it should look great.

need styling and pruning advice 3 years 10 months ago #60148

• m5eaygeoff
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
I think it might make a good twin trunk rather than three which it has now. I would keep the trunks quite straight, and thin the foliage and set the branches. Tall and thin would look good. I think you need to do it in stages not all at once, you need to remove quite a lot of the thin branches keeping strategically placed ones. Without close examination of the plant that is about as much as I can say, and it also depends on your experience and ability.

need styling and pruning advice 3 years 10 months ago #60150

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
I would ask google to find some videos of styling this and similar species and watch what they do, compare their beginning tree to yours, compare their results with what you might like, and think about your tree. It is too late to do much training now, so you have 6 or 8 months to make a plan.
Also, spend some time learning how to wire and how to direct the branches around. This is part of the craft of bonsai and is harder to get right than it should be.

need styling and pruning advice 3 years 10 months ago #60155

• Rens
  • Rens's Avatar Topic Author
thanks a lot for reply. since all the 3 branches are of same thickness i am confused . also after removing one of the thick branches their will be a big scar.

need styling and pruning advice 3 years 10 months ago #60164

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
If you ask three different people about how to style the tree you will get four answers, at least. At least one will say it's your tree, which means you choose. You shouldn't do anything before next spring, so get basic education on how to design, prune, wire, repot, etc., and be ready to make your own decisions. Some video or lecture will touch on the scar, what to do, etc. Do a lit of research between now and spring.

need styling and pruning advice 3 years 10 months ago #60165

• m5eaygeoff
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
The three branches do not look to be the same thickness and if a cut is made correctly it can be disguised not to show. I agree with Ivan.

• Page: