Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

First Bonsai - Chinese Elm Questions/Advice? 3 years 10 months ago #60265

• Photos
  • Photos's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello All!

I've decided to purchase my first bonsai tree after hours of research & decided to order a Chinese Elm from Bonsaioutlet. Upon receiving the tree i was very excited, however upon looking a bit closer over the past 2 weeks or so I've come to notice a few things that I think I'd like a bit of advice on.

I've kept the tree indoors for the first week of ownership placed directly in my bedroom window & I've watered it twice throughout the week based upon testing the soil with my finger. As of the past 3-4 days I've decided to move it outside (Central NC, zone 7A/7B) & it has been getting plenty of sunlight throughout the day, however I've had to water it nearly every day based upon the same soil testing with my finger (to be expected).

Here are a few things I've been thinking about that I would definitely appreciate some input on!

Firstly, I immediately want to get rid of the branch shown in the fourth picture that you can see crossing the branch it's growing from. It definitely seems to make the tree look a bit busy & I'm not a fan.

Secondly, I've noticed the brown spots pictured in the fifth picture on a few locations - Any input there?

Lastly, how's she look? I'm planning on letting it grow out a good bit before doing any serious pruning, but besides the crossing branch does anyone have any input that may clean up the appearance as it stands?

Thanks in advance, beyond excited to learn as much as possible & begin hoarding as many trees as possible!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

First Bonsai - Chinese Elm Questions/Advice? 3 years 10 months ago #60273

• m5eaygeoff
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
this species is hardy and should never be inside a house. It is a reasonable plant compared to many I have seen. You seem to have the right idea on removing crossing branches etc so go with what you think is right. It will grow again, so don't worry about cutting the branch too short. Select the branches to show the trunk line so if there are too many branches from one place choose one and remove others.I can see some thin twigs growing straight down, they need to be removed. If you mean brown spots near the base of the trunk it looks like bark has come off. I would be pruning the long shoots right back to about two or three buds, all over and reducing the height of the apex as it has grown out too much. The tree also looks very dry. If there are damaged leaves cu them off.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Photos

First Bonsai - Chinese Elm Questions/Advice? 3 years 10 months ago #60294

• Photos
I appreciate the advice. I've removed the crossing branch as well as the smaller one you can see directly above it.

There are TONS of very small dry twigs that seemingly break off just by touching mixed between/on most of the branches, should these all be removed to only leave actual woody/budding branches? They seem to just get In the way & busy up the tree.

Regarding the spots I mentioned - I'm referring to the leaves, as this has now begun to spread to even more leaves since I first posted. I also have several leaves beginning to yellow - I've watered pretty much every day & only water when I cannot feel moisture ~1 inch deep. Could I still be doing something wrong? I've been using a garden hose & watering until water flows out of the drainage holes & then continue watering for maybe another ~30 seconds to ensure all of the soil is saturated.

The tree definitely seems dry, but I'm not quite sure why or how I can resolve this?

Thanks again for all your help!

First Bonsai - Chinese Elm Questions/Advice? 3 years 10 months ago #60295

• m5eaygeoff
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yes you should remove dead twigs. Have you checked for insects? I hope you are using a spray on the hose. Just water until it comes out stop and then do it again a few minutes later. In the weather we have had I have been watering every day regardless, if it rains I wait for it to stop before watering, or do it first. No I am not joking.

First Bonsai - Chinese Elm Questions/Advice? 3 years 10 months ago #60296

• Photos
I have not been using a spray, just low pressure from the hose itself - I typically start by watering it from the leaves/trunk downwards until the entire tree is wet, & then focus on saturating the soil. I will give what you said a try, giving it a few minutes between watering & see if that makes any difference. I also picked up a watering can & some fertilizer that I had done some reading about - I was told to mix a VERY small amount in with the water I fill the can with, & use it daily when watering.

I've given the tree a good looking over & cannot find any sign of insects? Is there something in specific I should be looking for that may be missing?

We have a literal week + straight of rain here at the moment, so I'll follow your advice & keep it very well watered regardless.

Thanks always!

First Bonsai - Chinese Elm Questions/Advice? 3 years 10 months ago #60298

• m5eaygeoff
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
If you have a can use it with a rose. Do not use fertiliser every day, once a week is more than enough. Read the directions on the container. You need a balanced NPK fertiliser not one with high nitrogen. I only mentioned insects as you said that more leaves were yellowing, if there are none that is fine.

First Bonsai - Chinese Elm Questions/Advice? 3 years 10 months ago #60301

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

If you have a can use it with a rose.

For those on this side of the pond, what is a rose?

Context indicates a sprinkler attachment, in terms we use over here. But that is a guess.

• Page: