Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

When To Start Pruning & Shaping When Grown From Seed 3 years 9 months ago #60393

• Nwellborn85
  • Nwellborn85's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello. I'm new to Bonsai and have a Blue Jacaranda growing very quickly from seed. I think the tree is already outgrowing the pot but I'm not sure what to do from here. Do I re-pot first and let it keep going for a while? Start pruning and shaping now? It's only six months old, so it's still young and I don't want to jump the gun but also not miss any opportunities. The only thing I've done so far is cut a few of the lower branches that were small or dying off. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

When To Start Pruning & Shaping When Grown From Seed 3 years 9 months ago #60395

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 600
Repot as in put in pot a little larger than this one would be fine. Repot as in knock all the dirt off, cut a third of the roots off would likely kill it if you are in the northern hemisphere.
The best thing to do would be put it in a larger pot in the sun outdoors, fertilize and water regularly, read up on how to design, and let the tree grow for at least two years. Five would probably be better. Wait until it has established some branches before trying to train them.

When To Start Pruning & Shaping When Grown From Seed 3 years 9 months ago #60509

• Nwellborn85
  • Nwellborn85's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thank you.

• Page: