Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Giant Sequoia, Cypress and Cedar Root Pruning 3 years 9 months ago #60768

• BonsaiTV
  • BonsaiTV's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hey Folks,

I just purchased a coastal redwood, giant sequoia, Monterey cypress, santa cruz cypress, and atlas cedar. All seedlings (big though). The root balls are very long, skinny and vertical. Different than my typical repotting of your average bonsai specimen.

I called a couple experts out in California that deal with these trees and am getting a few different answers. I was told possibly splicing the taproot vertically may recover and help to spread the roots to prepare them for a bonsai pot. I heard trying to cut the root mass as normal from the bottom. I then heard never to cut the taproot (the classic way). I then read a research article saying these don't have your traditional taproots. I also was instructed to not let the taproot "J". Too make sure it doesnt bend up from the bottom.

The pot diameter I am using and just transplanted to last week is perfect, but the roots are essentially sitting on the bottom of the pot, which isn't great.

My questions are this:

Does anyone have experience with any of these specific species and how to go about dealing with all the tall vertical slim mass?

Should I carefully clean the root mass and angle the main roots and spread the rest?

Is splicing the main root vertically just silly (never heard of this)?

Would cutting the root mass on the bottom (in traditional manner) be the best option?

Or since its just gonna be a larger bonsai, should I just leave the roots be and put in a bigger pot?

It was hard to decide whether to post this in repotting or here. Since my questions are more directed to root pruning I chose this location.

I genuinely appreciate any feedback from anyone who has experience with any of these species.

Thanks and Bonsai on!

Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Giant Sequoia, Cypress and Cedar Root Pruning 3 years 9 months ago #60921

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Atlas ceder is iffy with the roots.

The others, not sure. Not the species I grow here.

That being said.. I cannot see the plants, so it is a bit like guessing what you have there. Taproots are just roots. One can clip them not a problem, assuming there are lots of side-roots that can support the plant. So myth one, busted ;)

Splitting the root? No.

Letting the taproot grow in a curve is no issue.

I would go for certain. Just pot them and let them grow for this summer. In early spring, later winter, take the plants out of their pots and assess the roots. If you have decent roots near the surface, reduce the main vertical root. Doing this over multiple years if you feel there is not enough to cut back to.

If you do not have high side roots, consider putting a wire tight around the taproot, some 2, 3 cm down and pot it up again. Let grow for next year. Then the wrire will have forced the plant to create sideroots.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: