Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Dawn Redwood styling thoughts... 3 years 9 months ago #61014

• @SF
  • @SF's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 3
In a rush of possibly misplaced enthusiasm I bought a nice fat trunked (but straight) Dawn Redwood. Naturally, I am not intending to do anything drastic with it until the spring and will feed and invigorate the thing for the time being.

I would be interested in what people think of the potential and the approach to take. There are 3 fairly ugly trunk chops- with lots of sprouting growth from them. I am not sure just how much punishment this type of tree will take, but my first thought is to use the narrower of the chopped sections as a new apex- with one of the sprouts becoming leader, and then either try to nibble away or jin the other two stumps.

I suppose alternatives might be a drastic trunk chop below the messy bit, to start a new apex altogether- but given the trunk is already pretty thick, it is going to take a very long time to develop a leader which blends and tapers well.

Another alternative is to perhaps try to work with all three stumps- carve/ tidy them and make some sort of three pronged broom shape?

Any thoughts folks?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dawn Redwood styling thoughts... 3 years 9 months ago #61018

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855
Very difficult to say without hands on, but I might be inclined to go with just one trunk. I would not cut low down as it might be too much for the tree to recover from. I don't think I would do it now, I would do it in winter when the tree is bare. I would fertilise and water heavily to get as much strength into the tree before doing drastic work. I would not prune any foliage until winter. Next year start styling

Dawn Redwood styling thoughts... 3 years 9 months ago #61025

• @SF
  • @SF's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 3
Thanks. Sounds like my thinking is not too far off.

• Page: