Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Ficus Retusa suggestions 3 years 6 months ago #63407

• ManniMarciano
  • ManniMarciano's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
(Disclosure: Not here to debate the inclusivity of Ficus Retusa/Ginseng within the Bonsai community.)

I've been caring for this Ficus Ginseng for several years now, after rescuing it from the clearance shelf at Walmart. So before anyone suggests I scrap it, it's here to stay. We are bonded.

Now, I've been very limited in my ability to purchase materials and tools designed for the art of bonsai, so I've been utilizing standard garden tools that I own.

While it's been outside this summer, I've been doing plenty of reading, and watching videos, on how-to's and technique. Now I look to possibly repot soon, so I'm toying with ideas (More aerial roots? Further exposed roots? New angle?) before choosing a pot. Ultimately, I'm posting to see if anyone can point me down the right road to pruning/wiring. Which step would be suggested I do next?

Thanks in advance for any feedback and knowledge shared.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ficus Retusa suggestions 3 years 6 months ago #63409

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
Well... in my opinion it isn't and never will be a bonsai. Let me explain myself: your ginseng is the branches of one ficus grafted on the ( ugly) roots of another. Now i know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but this will never make a mini tree that looks like a real grown tree ( because they dont exist in nature is one of the arguements)

You have a very healthy houseplant ( good job on placing it outside), and you should treat it as such.If you like it then by all means , continue what you are doing.

Ficus Retusa suggestions 3 years 6 months ago #63410

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352
Congrats, Good work!

I will not debate if ginseng can become a bonsai or not. But can just comment that I have never seen anybody in exibitions or online that made it.

One possible way to make it a future bonsai is to bury the ugly knob trunk in a deep pot just over the inverse taper. If it survive a few years like that, there is a chanse that there are enough roots to start carving from below and up until it fits in a shallow pot again. Some root grafting might be considered to speed up the nebari.

The problem here is that this is a long process and really ruff to the plant with no guaranty that it will ever become a bonsai. Beginners might not have what it takes and experienced just dont do it as there are better ways to create bonsai in less time, with less risk and work. By all means, if you are dedicated to turn it into a bonsai, just go ahead. The other option is just keep doing what you are doing, cut where it gets too big and enjoy a healthy plant. There are always other trees with more potential to become a bonsai to work with.

Good luck whatever you shoose to do with it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ManniMarciano

Ficus Retusa suggestions 3 years 5 months ago #63411

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
Hello and welcome.

Ficus in general take hard prunings and defoliation pretty well. They don't like to be moved around and they don't like being cold, that's all about them being fussy; they are not.
Now if it were mine I would prune it frequently to create some ramification and would defoliate it by the end of the summer to promote more smaller leaves on every new flush.
It can go to a smaller oval pot in the beginning of the Spring; I would use a glazed one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: leatherback, ManniMarciano

Ficus Retusa suggestions 3 years 5 months ago #63432

• ManniMarciano
  • ManniMarciano's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Regarding ramification and defoliation, I'm thinking of defoliating and then doing some hard pruning to give it a defining shape. Would this be wise given the time of year? And if so, how far back can/should I cut the branches?

I will definitely repot it come Spring time, and I'm contemplating playing around with the angle for a more dynamic look/feel. Granted it seems that the old "Is it/can it/will it ever be a bonsai?" argument is one for the ages, but all in all, I aim to apply bonsai techniques that I learn to it. Whether you love them, or hate them, one must admit they are intriguing nevertheless.

Ficus Retusa suggestions 3 years 5 months ago #63433

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
I only defoliate in the Summer to get a new flush of growth with smaller leaves, before winter.
Hard Pruning I would do by the very beginning of the Spring (or late winter), so it will sprout new growth in the Spring.

• Page: