Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

where to cut 3 years 2 months ago #65689

• Skye
  • Skye's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
You are correct Topfrog. I did mean main trunk. And yes I think I understand what you are talking about.

I know it depends on what I want but I am so new that it help to understand the process when other people tell me what they think. So....

Are you implying that it would be better to have movement lower? Also the smaller branch has a little movement to it at the base. should I add more?

Could I add movement to both or would that be too much.

I think once I take off some of the smaller branches that will help me make some decisions but let me know what you think.

Thanks

where to cut 3 years 2 months ago #65691

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 291
Well Tropfrog made a good point on choosing the other branch as leader, it has a slightly movement already. That's an option.

I advise you to look some online pictures of ficuses in nature and bonsais to seek inspiration, choose a bonsai style you like and that fits the species.

I personally like the little "snake like" growth on them, I mean, not a exagerated Moyogi (but some people like it), I like them a little tilted too, with a umbrella like top... Hokidachi suits amazingly for ficus too, and it's very natural...

But again, that's what I like, you should take your time, seek inspiration and plan your tree...
I love how the ficus grows like it wants on nature, they don't care what you think, some times the tree has another plans... ahahah
The following user(s) said Thank You: Skye

where to cut 3 years 2 months ago #65695

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Some people repot and prune at the same time, I dont. But the pot should be fine for that tree. It looks like the same volume as the old pot, maybe even bigger? For the final design you might want a shallower pot, but that is in a distant future.

One of my books from long ago (70's or so) said that roots should be trimmed and branches should be trimmed at the same time, to keep balance. If you cut a lot of roots, the leaves suddenly don't have an adequate supply of water and nutrients from the roots. If you cut a lot of leaves suddenly the roots are supplying more water than there is demand for in the leaves and that leads to root rot.

For me, a statement like that should be accompanied by data showing what happens when. There wasn't any, just a Japanese guy telling what he does and his motivation. Many people here with lots of old trees do just what Tropfrog does. Take your pick, but keep in mind the idea of balance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Skye, Albas

where to cut 3 years 2 months ago #65701

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1357
I support Ivans wise advices. The most important is take your time.

And adds: you say that you are thinking of taking small branches away. Normally in this stage we want big size difference between trunk and branches. It is all about perspective. Taking the biggest branches away do the opposite and will look like many trunks in the long run.

Your first suggestion is not too bad for a beginner.

Pros: it will take you to a fairly good upright tree in a short time.

Cons: the leafs will look too big and not in proportion to the tree.

But there are so many options for this tree. Ivans suggestion will make a beautiful quite big tree, but that will take many years and you need to accept periods of less beautiful tree on the road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Skye, Albas
  • Page: