Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Should I prune/cut my tree? 3 years 1 month ago #66216

• ZJohn57
  • ZJohn57's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello,

First time bonsai tree owner. I have received a 1 year Brazilian Rosewood for Christmas. Since getting this gift, it has really taken off and I am wondering if I should cut off some of the top to reinforce growth at the base. I am afraid that it will continue to grow upwards and eventually tip. The tree is probably 18 inches tall.

Thoughts from any experience Bonsai-ers ?

Thank you!
Zack

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Should I prune/cut my tree? 3 years 1 month ago #66218

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 291
Oh, Nice Jacarandá!
Congratulations on getting this far with the sapling.

Here in Brazilian winter they'll loose it's leaves, and flourish on spring even before showing new buds, so it takes a little time on spring to it to backbud, for what I see, you should maybe work a movement on the trunk while it still flexible, just make sure to not make it tight, as it grows fast... I would soon put it on a bigger training pot...

About pruning Jacarandás it's never a easy topic, I've heard from experienced guys that if you prune it too much, you can stagnate it's growth, but I lack of knowlodge to second that... So I think (for what I've seen with my friends) you prune them once a year, on spring/summer... That being said, I would wire it and let it's apex grow to thicken the trunk.

Maybe some Jacarandá owners can give you better insight, I only have a few young ones. They are wonderfull trees.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: