Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Dwarf Jade (Portulacaria afra): Pruning and Wiring Advice Please 3 years 4 days ago #67711

• Dr3z
  • Dr3z's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 3
Hello, Bonsai Empire community! While new to the hobby, certainly excited by it. I did attempt a search before posting on this topic but didn't see much.

This jade is one of the 5 bonsai projects I have on the go and I thought it a logical choice to start learning about pruning given that they seem to leaf pretty vigorously and without any intervention, they don't really look like a tree at all. As such, I thought it might be rather tolerant of a new hobbyist's over attentiveness.

It was purchased in a grower pot and transplanted into the pot you see. Soil is a 50% bonsai mix and 50% akadama although I guess they are not too picky so long as they have good drainage. The surface substrate is perhaps unconventional (not to mention a little large in scale) however it allows me to display this collection of interesting puddingstones foraged from the shores of the great lakes.

I understand that the goal in pruning a jade is to remove the largest leaves that prevent light from getting to the smaller inner foliage thus promoting denser foliage. I've circled a few examples that I would prune this week. The branches also appear to want to grow straight out so I also suspect that as that continues the growing tips will need to be pruned back in order to preserve the appearance of a crown. I'm not ready to do this yet but I expect where I place arrows are where I might need to do that should lateral growth continue. I'm also experimenting with wiring (left) to help redirect one such branch upwards rather than prune it back which I believe to be working well so far. Based on some research I've been careful to avoid scratching the bark with the wire as it is apparently somewhat vulnerable in that regard.

Am I on the right path or are there any other tips regarding pruning or wiring this specimen?

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dwarf Jade (Portulacaria afra): Pruning and Wiring Advice Please 3 years 4 days ago #67712

• Albas
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 291
Hello,
I do not wire my Jades, I just shape and keep it with some prunning and removing buds from the trunk.
Jade seems to have no mistery: > you let it grow > you prune what you don't want > repeat... Sometimes I give it a bit of organic fert or copper sulfate when I'm treating other plants around...

And you might already know that, but you don't water it very often, as it is a suculent...

Last edit: Post by Albas.

Dwarf Jade (Portulacaria afra): Pruning and Wiring Advice Please 3 years 4 days ago #67722

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1351
Jades are not trees, but succulents. Since they dont build wood, they cannot be wired. Not necessary to experiment with that.

Dwarf Jade (Portulacaria afra): Pruning and Wiring Advice Please 3 years 3 days ago #67739

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Portocularia is wired mostly when young and still green. As this plant then builds the more permanent woody structures to support its weight, they stay in place.

A nice page to have a look at:
www.bonsaitree.co.za/blogs/tree-talk/por...ia-afra-the-underdog

Dwarf Jade (Portulacaria afra): Pruning and Wiring Advice Please 3 years 1 day ago #67820

• Dr3z
  • Dr3z's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 3

Hello,
I do not wire my Jades, I just shape and keep it with some prunning and removing buds from the trunk.
Jade seems to have no mistery: > you let it grow > you prune what you don't want > repeat... Sometimes I give it a bit of organic fert or copper sulfate when I'm treating other plants around...

And you might already know that, but you don't water it very often, as it is a suculent...

Sounds like I don't have to overthink it too much; should be good pruning practice for what works and what doesnt. Thanks for your reply.

Portocularia is wired mostly when young and still green. As this plant then builds the more permanent woody structures to support its weight, they stay in place.

A nice page to have a look at:
www.bonsaitree.co.za/blogs/tree-talk/por...ia-afra-the-underdog

Fantastic read! Neat seeing the Jades in their native Karoo landscape.

• Page: