Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Advice for shaping my new Juniper Bonsai 2 years 9 months ago #69376

• bonsaidev
  • bonsaidev's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Just purchased this Juniper bonsai from a nursery by my house. No idea how old it is (maybe some of you more experienced bonsai owners would be able to estimate.) As far as styling this goes, I’ve drawn up some ideas, found the “front” that I want, but I would like more advice since I am a beginner.- My plan was to remove all of the smaller branches that are attached to the thicker more mature branches. I wanted give the tree a cleaner look as it just looks like a big mushroom top right now. - my other plan was to wire the branches in an upward angle because as of right now the branches reach up and curve aggressively horizontal at the tops.Again these are all just ideas. I really have no clue what I’m doing but I’m open to suggestions and input! Thanks in advance!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Advice for shaping my new Juniper Bonsai 2 years 9 months ago #69380

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
Horticulture first, any bonsaiish comes after. Your tree needs to be outside, inside it will die. Now is the wrong time of the year to style a juniper in most of the world. So just spend time caring for it and give it a strong healthy new growth. If you acomplish that you can style in late winter or early spring. Meanwhile you can study the art of bonsai and your tree. Make up a plan how you want the tree too look in the future.

In order to make a tree look old the branches should have a big difference in size compared to the trunk. You can limit growth of a branch by thinning out its foliage or you can select thinner branches to grow on and remove bigger. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I would strongy suggest not to remowe small branches and grow on thicker.

There should also be size difference between primary and secondary branches and between lower and higher branches. Its not fixed rules and it is your tree, you decide.

In order to make a tree look older in bonsai we want horizontal or slightly down facing branches.

Put all statements above together and you will see that all your suggestion above is totally opposite of normal bonsai technices. Again, it is no fixed rules and it is your tree. You decide what to do with it.

Now, put it outside and care for it, meanwhile read up on bonsai styling and make up your long term plan. Good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bonsaidev

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: