Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Improving compactness and ramification - tropical tree 2 years 9 months ago #70391

• Vanboom
  • Vanboom's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2
I have a Jaboticaba and some other trees that are maturing, thickening, etc.

Unfortunately I let my Jaboticaba get a little dry and it did a leaf drop. The tree recovered, but some of the inner (finer) branching has died off and the new growth is pushing very fast. The new growth is causing the dimensions of the tree to increase relative to the trunk, but it is now lacking more inner structure.

Question is: How do you promote more inner leaves and branching structure closer to the trunk? I am getting all of my growth at the outer boundary but want to promote more interior structure.

Thanks!
Don

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Improving compactness and ramification - tropical tree 2 years 9 months ago #70409

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I found that a serious trim in spring did the trick for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vanboom, Albas

Improving compactness and ramification - tropical tree 2 years 7 months ago #72053

• Vanboom
  • Vanboom's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2
Thanks - I will give that a try. I did some pruning earlier in the Summer back to the first set of leaves and that has helped, but still wanting to get it more compact.

Related - does anyone know if the Jaboticaba is sensitive to rotating it relative to a window? Oddly it seems to produce more foliage on the side that is 90 deg to the window whereas the section in more direct sunlight has less foliage. I guess that makes sense if the tree is getting enough light from that angle.

I would like to rotate it - but not wanting to stress it with a leaf drop at this point. It has a lot of new foliage on it and looking pretty healthy. Thanks!

Improving compactness and ramification - tropical tree 2 years 7 months ago #72060

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
you keep ot indoors in summer?

I flip mine around a few times in winter and have not had trouble

• Page: