Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Dawn Redwood Pruning Advice 1 year 5 months ago #78496

• ALittleOldMan
  • ALittleOldMan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Recently purchased a Dawn Redwood and the main trunk splits into two near the top of the tree. Not sure which leader to keep. One branch is almost as thick as the trunk but has a curved movement. While the second branch seems to follow the straight path of the main trunk. I understand movement is good but not sure if this is appealing movement for a Dawn Redwood? Any advice? Should I keep both?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dawn Redwood Pruning Advice 1 year 5 months ago #78518

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1357
I would get rid of the thick trunk and grow one of the thin ones for future apex.

But it is your tree. :)

Dawn Redwood Pruning Advice 1 year 5 months ago #78520

• ALittleOldMan
  • ALittleOldMan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thanks for the feedback. I was trying to think if there's anything interesting I could do with that branch, but it is at such an odd angle as well as high up on the tree. I think you're right that it's better off to cut that branch and continue with the straight branch for the apex.

I also considered making a jin with that branch, but I haven't found any good examples online of Dawn Redwoods with jin. What do you think?

Dawn Redwood Pruning Advice 1 year 5 months ago #78523

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1357
I am not a fan of jin on the leader. Only applicable in my opinion when there are no way to identify a new leader.

In any atempt to make Jin it is important to understand that everything will thicken going forward except for the jin. So if your final vision is a big and thick tree do not make any jins before they are proportional to your final design. For a very small tree the trunk may be there allready, but on the other hand it is way to high up to become part of a small tree.

• Page: