Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Help required 1 year 5 months ago #78554

• Phil1989
  • Phil1989's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi guys and girls, I managed to get this tree last night for £25 seems like a bargain to me. It's a Japanese white pine, abit unsure we're to go with it? Shall I repot first or style and prune?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help required 1 year 5 months ago #78556

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
Hello and welcome

First thing you need to do is move it outside, inside it will die.
Second thing to do is...nothing at all. DO NOT REPOT, DO NOT STYLE/PRUNE/WHATEVER for at least a year. Meanwhile: learn to keep the tree alive, look at it a thousand times from all angles, then look a thousand times more.
It's a decent tree with potential, would be a shame to see this one die...

Help required 1 year 5 months ago #78557

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1351
For 25 punds this is not a decent tree. It is a incredible bargain and a fantastic tree. Here I would not find something similar for 10 times as much.

I agree with everything said by previous poster. And adding: Once you have learnt how to keep it alive, take it to your local bonsai club and ask for guidance.

Help required 1 year 5 months ago #78558

• Phil1989
Hi there, I failed to put in my first message, that it was only inside for the photo because it was dark outside, but it is now outside we're it belongs. Thankyou for your help guys really appreciate it, and for £25 I knew this was a bargain

Help required 1 year 5 months ago #78559

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1351
I would like to add.....this species only grow one flush per year in early to mid summer. When the flush is done, it needs to be pruned for balance. Cut heavy growth back hard, medium buds less hard and leave the weakest ones. Do not cut into last years growth, but leave at least some of the new needles. This task balance the vigour and prevent weak branches from dying.

When it comes to styling, I cannot see any other option than keeping it as a semi cascade. The apex is there and the cascading branch is there. However, there are a heavy branch in between that I think may need to be removed. But it is your tree and you are the artist, the creator. Whatever decition you make, just make sure that it is what YOU want to do, not what anyone else wants.

Everything allready said still apply. Don't do anything now except for planning for future design. Once you are ready, reach out to someone more experienced for support.

Last edit: Post by Tropfrog.

Help required 1 year 5 months ago #78560

• Phil1989
Thats great advice thankyou really appreciate it and I was going to keep it semi cascade tbh think it works well

• Page: