Bonsai forum

Asking for help developing branches

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1361

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Asking for help developing branches

Posted 10 months 3 weeks ago #80440
Experience is not anectotal. It is evidence not yet proved by scientific studies

Are any of those evidences you provide based on bonsai in shallow pots? If so, this is anectotal evidence.

Mature tres in ground have an almost unlimited access to water and nutrients. Our bonsai does not.

Traditionally we tap silver birch sap for drinking and brewing every spring. I am well aware that this have no big impact on health of the tree, althou can make some harm If overutilized. It will never kill a tree. However, I would never dream of tapping sap from a bonsai birch or a high altitude mountain birch.

The sap is energy. When a tree lose energy it loses health. It is totally neglectable on mature trees in ground but may effect development speed on potted trees. Real verifyable and universally valid evidence is impossible to create given too many uncertancy factors. That is where experience have an important role.

In your area it seems like the experience is that spring pruning is the best. And you support it with scientific evidence based on trees in ground. Which may give you comfort that you are right, but still, your experience is more valid than the scientific papers you provide.

Around me everyone agree that pruning right after the summer solitice is the best. But we know that there are no scientific evidence to support it. On the other hand there are no scientific evidence for any other option.

I guess you are in america where many common practices is different from Europe. Many european beginners fail big time listening to advice of american growers. It is not due to the american growers giving wrong advices, just that the methods used over there just don't work here. That is why it is important to listen to advices from local experienced growers.
by Tropfrog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.