Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Re: Corkscrew Willow - Advice and Recommendations? 12 years 3 months ago #3373

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
I had fungus gnats in my cutting soil recently. I used a mixture of vermiculite, perlite and potting soil and watered once a day in order to to keep the soil moist. I didn't let the soil dry out since i knew this would kill the cuttings. I used a mixture of fungicide and insecticide for 3 days, that seemed to do the trick. Two of the ficus cuttings now have new sprouts

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Corkscrew Willow - Advice and Recommendations? 12 years 3 months ago #3379

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hey Bensai...Yep! From your desription, that is exactly how I lost all my tiny Fukien Tea seedlings. :( So now I know for sure it was those little buggar fungus gnats! :angry: Grrrrr..... Another member and I had this discussion and came to the conclusion that the seedling soil mixture I purchased could be infected with dormant eggs.

thanks for the replies - I think I found the problem - fungus gnats. I've got the little suckers everywhere in my willows - and after reading up on them, they sound like the culprit. They do minimal damage to trees - unless the trees are very young and unestablished, such as my trees. The leaves start turning black on the tips all over the tree, and then the trunk starts to die eventually. Some of them I have been able to at least slow down the progression, and possibly save them - but at this point I have lost about 6-8 trees. Since they don't do the cold weather well when they are young, they have been in my front bedroom to get a good supply of Eastern sun, and a few are doing well. I have had some luck with a Pyrethrin spray, but the gnats have an 8 day life cycle, and manage to do nothing but breed in that time, so it's difficult. Basically, I juts have to limp through the rest of Winter and hope for the best I guess.

Re: Corkscrew Willow - Advice and Recommendations? 12 years 3 months ago #3501

• aklister71
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 2
:cheer: I didn't know that willow trees would root so well, my Mother just loves willow trees - I may need to snag a branch from somewhere in Missouri and start a bonsai for her.

I can just imagine how gorgeous it would be sitting just off the front porch.

Re: Corkscrew Willow - Advice and Recommendations? 12 years 3 months ago #3504

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
They root Soooooo easy. Do a bunch..

Re: Corkscrew Willow - Advice and Recommendations? 12 years 1 month ago #4081

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey guys :woohoo:

After reading this topic about 2 months ago I started searching for a willow to take cuttings from and found one on a wine estate. pulled of a branch and ran to my car, I only wish now that i took a thicker branch.

Anyway, i cut the branch it 3 pieces. And all rooted perfectly indoors in a really warm sun room. Here are some pictures for anyone interested :silly:

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Corkscrew Willow - Advice and Recommendations? 12 years 1 month ago #4082

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Willow cuttings are a great way to start.The roots grow quick, so keep an eye on them. They need to be re-potted twice a year. The branches grow quick too. Such a great tree for beginners or experienced folk. They are pretty hardy trees too.

Re: Corkscrew Willow - Advice and Recommendations? 12 years 1 month ago #4089

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Twice a year really! wow.. Im looking forward to seeing some fast growth on these buggers

Re: Corkscrew Willow - Advice and Recommendations? 12 years 1 month ago #4095

• Youri1995
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I'm also growing some willow cuttings that I cut off from my 'bonsai forest', they easily root and are strong trees, recommend it to everyone if you want to do some cuttings!

Re: Corkscrew Willow - Advice and Recommendations? 12 years 1 month ago #4099

• Vnolan
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 17
I've was looking at some willows in this area this morning, and they have bright orange beaches hanging down, they are really pretty. This thread convinced me to go up to one of the landowners and get some branches (or just grab and run like someone else said, haha :). ). I'm looking forward to pictures of the corkscrew willows!

Re: Corkscrew Willow - Advice and Recommendations? 12 years 1 month ago #4104

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I would advise any of you not to just "grab and run". No matter how you look at it, that is theft(and bad karma). Put yourself in the tree owners shoes.What if you had taken years to ensure the good health of a tree and one day you saw that a limb had been broken off so someone could have a piece?
I personally would be irritated if I saw that someone had broken a branch off any of my garden trees. Broken limbs invite all kinds of problems that could affect the health of the parent tree.
Always get permission to take branches, and take them correctly. Use sharp instruments to cut the branch and wrap them in a damp cloth. Plant them soon after separation.
What happens if the broken limb fails to root? Do you go back and break another branch off the tree?
Do it right the first time and you will have a better success rate and you won't be angering land owners.
The following user(s) said Thank You: leatherback, MWid, Cass

Last edit: Post by Pinkham.