TOPIC:

Pinching Back Acer Palmatum/Wiring 11 years 2 weeks ago #8570

• sikadelic
  • sikadelic's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 10
Two questions here so bare with me. ;)
I have been researching the proper maintenance pruning techniques and wanted to seek some clarification from the seasoned veterans. I have seen many "how-tos" with guidance like this:
"The first shoots in Spring should be pinched out.
The most vigorous shoots are the first to open in Spring and so pinching out these will remove all shoots that have the potential to produce long internodes.
With tweezers, open the newly opening leaves just as they begin to open and pinch out the central shoot." Link

Does anybody have any photographs or videos so I can actually see this technique?

Also, has anybody used wiring that can be purchased at large commercial chains like Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.? I am not above using a little elbow grease to strip wire if it has been previously coated. I am just trying to avoid high shipping charges.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pinching Back Acer Palmatum/Wiring 11 years 2 weeks ago #8575

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
a pic of the tree you are refering to woll help. leaf pruning like you mentioned should be done once the trunk and roots have been developed somewhat.

this technique will slow growth considerably the tree will spend energy repairing damage and the resulting leaves will be smaller therfor giving the tree less energy to work with.

on younger trees you can do "bud selecting: before the leaves open tho. say a branch/leader has 3 buds at the end,pinch out the larger middle bud leaving the smaller outer buds this will produce branching without much scarring.this will make the smaller buds grow faster giving more branchesand more leaves which leads to more more energy production and heavier growth

as for the wire stripping and anealing copper wire is a long process. the wire has to be heated in a fire till the flames turn green cooled and then used.it will have to be cut off to remove so i cant be used again.try dallas bonsai in texas it is were i buy my wire and is the cheapest.shipping isnt bad either.i use aluminum its cheaper and can be unwound and reused

Pinching Back Acer Palmatum/Wiring 11 years 2 weeks ago #8607

• OliverWobbe
  • Thanks received: 2
Hey!

recently I read an article by mr. Pall, where he explains how not to prune a Acer bonsai IF under development. Correct me if I'm wrong, but take a look on this article. It might answer your questions:

walterpallbonsaiarticles.blogspot.dk/201...ese-maple-hedge.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: sikadelic

Pinching Back Acer Palmatum/Wiring 11 years 2 weeks ago #8608

• sikadelic
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks Oliver! That looks like a great read. I will have to take an in depth look at it when I'm not in the office slaving away.

Pinching Back Acer Palmatum/Wiring 11 years 2 weeks ago #8616

• OliverWobbe
You're welcome!

Yea, it's a loooooong one, but it's quite an eye-opener!
- It was to me, at least ;)
I could imagine it being tough, sitting there..
With the "bonsai itch" in the fingers
and counting the hours to quitting time!

Pinching Back Acer Palmatum/Wiring 11 years 2 weeks ago #8635

• sikadelic
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
It was torment! I survived though and read your link. He makes a lot of sense when he mentions how that more than likely weakens the tree. I think I will give his method a try.

Pinching Back Acer Palmatum/Wiring 11 years 2 weeks ago #8638

• OliverWobbe
That's good.
Happy to help!

• Page: