Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Japanese Black Pine 10 years 5 months ago #10042

• JMoney
  • JMoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 10
Here is my latest project, a Japanese Black Pine from nursery stock. I saw this tree and just had to have it. I just cleaned out all the excessive and dead needles so I could get a better idea of whats going on with the branches. Still not sure what kind of styling I am going to do, as far as branch placements, but the top will be gone for sure and replaced with a new apex. This should be a great tree for cloud pruning. The lower branches are almost at the base so I'm still not sure what I will do with them. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: raewynk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by JMoney.

Japanese Black Pine 10 years 5 months ago #10050

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
to be totally honest pick one of those lower branches as a leader and loose the rest. the tree is much too overgrown to get anything in less than 10 years and it will be nothing spectacular. it has a nice base started and a strong root system.with the hard chop you will have a good developing bonsai with young trained branches within 3 years. it sounds drastic but you will be more pleased with the results. do your reasearch it is imperative you do this at the correct time of year

Japanese Black Pine 10 years 5 months ago #10053

• JMoney
Thanks, I will take a look at that advice for sure. For now I am going to just top it and do some heavy pruning and wiring. Once I do that I will have a better idea and some time to do something long term. Were you referring to the lowest of the branches for a new lead, or just a mid one? Those bottom branches are pretty close to the base.

Japanese Black Pine 10 years 5 months ago #10068

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
the base is good that is what you have for your bonsai. the rest of the tree has grown too fast and was grown to be 20 feet tall in 10 years...not what you want...basically it needs to be cut to one growing branch which is bent into the new trunk then you can start growing a tree that will be 2 foot tall in 10 years...it is drastic but with the large root system you will have an explosion of growth next summer. wait 2 years then reduce roots

Japanese Black Pine 10 years 5 months ago #10114

• JMoney
Here she is all wired and cleaned up. Pretty rough right now but with some jin and shari and a couple years it should look ok.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by JMoney.

Japanese Black Pine 10 years 3 months ago #10249

• raewynk
  • Thanks received: 0
I wouldn't have been able to do that amount of pruning. But I am still learning and what a great learning tool the shape looks good. Waiting to see the result in 12months or so after the next growth spurt.

Nice.

• Page: