Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Maple Pruning 10 years 1 month ago #10591

• Take2daily
  • Take2daily's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi..I am so happy to have found this site.. Sometimes in my endeavor to self learn and be creative I make mistakes. This is a Japanese Elm. I want to keep it's vertical size down to thicken the trunk etc. Should I be pruning the tips of the branches? I have not fund much on any technique to keep it squat. Thanks In advance for any help..

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Maple Pruning 10 years 1 month ago #10594

• ironhorse
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 72
You would usually shorten the branches to encourage more and denser ramification, ie twigging & leaf growth, this is usually done when the required trunk girth & taper is achieved and that comes about with free growth for a number of years either in a garden ('field growing') or a large container, and trunk height reduction each season to emphasise the taper. Leaving lower branches on will lead to trunk swelling nearer the base. Your maple looks good but there is a long way to go yet and patience is needed to get the results you are seeking

Dave

Maple Pruning 10 years 1 month ago #10595

• m5eaygeoff
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
This is a Maple not Elm, maybe that's what you meant. It is a young plant and needs 4 or 5 years in the ground unrestricted to get areasonable trunk. Pruning the top will not help to thicken the trunk, all that will happen is it will branch out and not put trunk girth.
Depending on what country you are in will depend on the culture you use.

Maple Pruning 10 years 1 month ago #10596

• Take2daily
Thanks to both of you and yes I meant Maple, thanks for the correction.. So time will be my friend on this one.. thanks again.

Maple Pruning 10 years 1 month ago #10598

• Cronic
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thanks received: 33
1. why did you wire? it doesn't seem bend, so the wire is useless and now only serves to damage the bark
2. what is your vision with this tree?
3. why want to prune it? there's almost nothing to prune..

best thing you can do is, if possible, plant it in the garden for about 5 years at least and let it grow freely.. that way you will thicken your trunk..
while at it, try planting it on a tile with the roots spread, a few cm under the ground.. this way you will train the nebari (root base) of the tree aswell..

good luck

Maple Pruning 10 years 1 month ago #10601

• Take2daily
Hi Cronic, I was asking how to keep the plant from growing vertically. The guys before you actually gave me the answer and you reiterated it. "Time and patience" I was practicing with the wire..no harm, very loose and removed. I wish I had a place to put it in the ground. I'll continue to replant it into larger containers for a few years. Thanks for taking the time to help out.

Maple Pruning 10 years 1 month ago #10603

• m5eaygeoff
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
Yes use a large container is the best alternative. There is no point in wiring any branches at this stage. I try to avoid wiring deciduous trees at any time.

• Page: