Bonsai forum

azalea bonsai

• Marvel170
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

azalea bonsai was created by Marvel170

Posted 9 years 10 months ago #10966
Hey guys,
I went to home depot the other day and found this azalea. I really like how thick the trunk is, it was the only one like that, that I could find out of the selection that they had at the time. I have found though that a lot of the branches are gangly and just have a little bit of foliage on the ends of them. This one just got done flowering, it is a hybrid and has really small flowers. This is also what had attracted me to this little tree as well. I don't know what I should do trimming wise. I wired those two branches so that I could bend them out of the way, and to see what I could work with. Any feelings,thoughts, advice,and criticism, is welcome and appreciated. :)

I live in the Midwest United States, Michigan to be exact. I also just brought it in to take pictures of the tree, other wise I have it sitting outside.
by Marvel170

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic azalea bonsai

Posted 9 years 10 months ago #10967
Azalea branches are brittle, and will break easily. They need to be pruned hard after flowering, and this one is no different. They will back bud all over after pruning so there is problem doing it. You will need to protect it in the winter from hard frosts. They will be ok down to about -3 but below that they need some protection. It is very difficult to say what needs removing form pictures, I am not going to say more, but it does need thinning out considerably.
by m5eaygeoff

• Marvel170
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Marvel170 on topic azalea bonsai

Posted 9 years 10 months ago #10968
Sorry about the pictures I was trying my best to take a good picture of it. I do agree though it does need to be thinned out. I just wondering how far I should cut it down.
Last Edit:9 years 10 months ago by Marvel170
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Marvel170. Reason: wasn't done with the message

• Marvel170
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 9 years 10 months ago #10970
I am wondering if I should cut those larger branches off first and just see where that leaves me, because one day I would like my tree to eventually look like one of these trees. I really like the first two pictures.
by Marvel170

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic azalea bonsai

Posted 9 years 10 months ago #10971
It would be nice if it did! But in th real world if never will. You can prune hard and it will back bud. take out crossing branches, and prune the buds where the flowers were.
by m5eaygeoff

• Marvel170
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 9 years 10 months ago #10972
*sighs wantingly* yeah I know it is a shame that I something like that can't be made out of a nursery stock.. Thanks :) I will do that tomorrow when I get home from work :)
by Marvel170

• Cronic
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thanks received: 33

Replied by Cronic on topic azalea bonsai

Posted 9 years 10 months ago #10996
if you want your tree to look anything like those examples you posted, plant it in your garden for 30 years and let it grow in order to gain trunk thickness.. also consider your main branches from the start to let the grow thick..
so basicly, while it grows in the garden, prune it into shape slightly, but let it grow out enough to gain thickness and maturity..

best thing to ever have a tree like your examples is to spend about 500 - 1500 euro's (say 750 - 2000 dollars) for a decent starter bonsai and get some guidance with that..
by Cronic
The following user(s) said Thank You: Auk